Monthly Open Source Design call

Thanks to all who joined.

Wednesday 2nd 2023 Notes

• Eriol,Susan, Katie W, Bernard, Matthew, Juhan, Rawlins, Simon, Nimisha, Saptak, Belén, Amit, Ed

What we discussed:

Introductions

FOSDEM 2023 devroom - what happens and how do I volunteer

Brief intro to the FOSDEM conf and background FOSDEM 2023 - Home

Let’s talk about what the conf is like. All across a university in Brussels - chaotically open - maintain one main track - sort of a keynote and lots of community managed rooms. Managing a dev room is like managing any conf. The timing is very strict and you cannot go over or your talk will get cut from the video recording.

We’ll put together a poll/form for people interested in volunteering. Best place for updates is on the discourse forum or on these monthly calls.

Massive exhibition hall and companies will put info tables in this ‘hall’ (also kind of corridors) you can promo projects and how to get involved. We’ve had the stand for about 2-3 years. Tell people about who we are and what we do. UX clinic → 15 mins to discuss whatever design issues they want.

Request a stand is filling an online form - if accepted we do a doodle poll for 2 hr slots for minimum 2 ppl on the stand at all times. Physical stand.

Whats involved in volunteering

Ngoc asks if anyone can apply to be a volunteer → which threads to reply to?

Make Discourse post/form for people to express interest

Superbloom scientific OSS research

They’ve gotten a grant from Sloan.

How is scientific OSS think about their users? When and how do they prioritise usability & design and how do they incorporate user focussed practices?

Desk research with Science OSS projects & OSS folks. Gonna send around surveys and have conversations about this topic.

Juhans raised questions about what open principles this Superbloom project is following within this project?
Juhan’s comment: whats your stance on the output of the work. Will it be open source?
Belen asks: it would be really interesting to crowdsource the analysis process for instance :smiley:
Juhan comment: so we need a 1st principles of Open Source Design research.
Eriol responds: It might end up being one of the continual outputs

Internship/fellowship

• picking it back up again
  • spoke with penpot about “what a software company would want from a design person”
  • belen says:I actually think penpot might be the ideal partner for running this for the first time
  • Juhan: its bi-directional obligation
  • Juhan says:your money + PenPot’s money = makes it more real.
    • Bernard - OSD says: Yes.
  • Belen says:that sounds like a fair and neat arrangement
  • Who’s interested in working on this?

Eriol and Django did a workshop for non-designers to do design in OSS

Open source designer diary studies

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

FOSDEM is almost upon us and we are super excited! So for this month’s Open Source Design call, FOSDEM is on the agenda. FOSDEM is run entirely by volunteers (that’s us!) and there are lots of things to do in the Open Source Design devroom for anyone who is interested. So if you want to get involved in the OSD devroom, are a speaker with some questions, or simply want to see what’s going on, feel free to drop in in the OSD monthly call on Jitsi at 19:00 CET today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excited to hear about all the ways to help :slight_smile: I’ll do notes for the call today :notebook:

Notes from the monthly call are located in the Open Source Design Nextcloud: Open Source Design

1 Like

Hi all! I’ve joined this month’s call to give a quick update on Open Source Comics!

I’ve working on a grant with NumPy and Google Seasons of Docs to create the ‘NumPy Contributor Comics’! It uses comics as a form of visual documentation, which aims to be more engaging to newcomers.

Here are some links I shared:

1. Using virtual whiteboards for visual and non-linear brainstorming with the NumPy community
  2. Github repo with artifacts such as concept art, scripts and community meeting notes.
  3. Project roadmap, with timeline and deliverables

Nimisha wrote some great notes on the call here. Thanks Nimisha!

2 Likes

Thanks for the links Mars! :slight_smile: I’m gonna try to start posting the notes here again so people who are interested know what were talking about (and join in the next months :smiley: )

Summary: We talked about a whole bunch of topics today! We discussed what everyone thought about Open Collective for donations, and Penpot came up yet again as we discussed design systems and open design. Mars also shared her amazing documentation comics!

Detailed notes here
  • Intros!

• Christoph from the Bitcoin design community
    • Amit from Google
    • Clayton from the Drupal community
    • Nimisha from Nextcloud
    • Mars from the NumPy team
  • Christoph: Human rights foundation bounty program

• Design system on Penpot?
      • Playbook for project who want to move away from Figma
      • Nimisha: Good! Used at Nextcloud, no major complaints considering OSS
      • Clayton: Collaboration is slow
      • Open design process involving the public?
    • OpenCollective for donations?
      • Mostly good! Some issues few years ago, but all sorted now
      • Used by Drupal community as well! Nice
  • Clayton: Experiences with building coherent design systems and knowledge which can be used by random strangers?

• Amit: It’s complex!
    • Christoph: Bitcoin design system demo! Current design system works pretty well, but it’s not an easy job
  • Mars: NumPy documentation comics for Google season of docs

Thanks everyone for joining! Hopefully see you again next month! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey Nimisha! Can’t join to jit si chanell… Asks about access permission

Is this call still a thing on Wed at 1p ET?
(Open Source Design monthly call - Open Source Design)
I’m all alone… as usual. :wink:

I am not able to join though? A moderator has to let me in? Hm :thinking:

1 Like

@juhan, @bazylevnik0 and anyone else should be able to join without logging in now! @jdittrich and I are here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me and @nim joined, but too late.

Let’s plan for next meeting:

1. Infrastructure: Meet.jitsi now needs you log in. It seems to be the case that guests are still possible, but a moderator needs to log in with google, facebook or github. We could just accept that or try to find someone who provides us an anonymous instance. No matter what, we will need to update the info on top of this thread (do we also have the info on our regular website? If yes, it is hard to find!) to let people know about jitsi’s behavior.
  2. Job board. We are still with the discourse job board (the old board does not work anymore, due to a service being discontinued; Maybe we also lack the knowledge how excatly it works/worked?). It is still open whether we continue with the current solution or revive the old job board somehow. We made some small changes recently to the discourse job board:
    1. Directing the website’s /jobs route to the discourse job board, so that old links go to the right place, too.
    2. Fix a problem in the discourse job category settings that prevented post creation.
  3. Use of our funds
    1. Someone wanted to print Open Source Design Stickers again. Excellent use of money!
    2. Back in ’21 we voted on how to use our funds and financing an internship was our choice. However, it turned out to be quite difficult to pull off; among other things for difficulties of bureaucracy and the need to have the internship specified fairly detailed before orgs would consider participating. In my opinion, we would need to decide if we can allocate the time to do this work or if we want to reconsider the use of the funds – since the internship is a) a large amount of money and b) outcome of a voting it is blocking other uses of the funds (except for smaller <100€ use)
2 Likes

O, I have some thoughts about 2. And it is important for me cuz I spend time for finding job and have some saddness thoughts about it, even in popular spaces I mean) Next month same time, ye?

1 Like

Another month, another meeting! Thanks to all who joined and shared their thoughts!

The short version: Paul and Alex from FOSS Backstage are planning an open source design mini-event, and we want to have an open source design devroom at FOSDEM next year. Also @Erioldoesdesign and I worked on a very cool study about designers in open source :slight_smile:

More notes here

October monthly call: Belen, Eriol, Saptak, Scott, Juhan, Nimisha, Paul + Alex from FOSS Backstage, Gerardo

Agenda

FOSS Backstage

• FOSS Backstage: Design Sub-Event - #4 by lamarite
  • Paul and Alex from FOSS Backstage would like to organise a design sub-event
  • Logistics would be organised already, OSD would bring content and people
    • Wikimedia Berlin might offer a room
  • Need volunteers to organise
  • Formal committee to organise, and also people who would like to chip in ideas
  • Parameters and restrictions:
    • Open for everything ATM
  • FOSDEM is right before, conflicts?
    • FOSDEM speakers can be “fast tracked” to be considered
    • Outreach for design events has been difficult recently
  • Whom do we want to reach? LibreGraphics community (already OSDers) but also future OSDers and ex OSDers
  • Penpot folks potential speakers

Designers in OSS

FOSDEM organisation

• Nimisha and another person will organise this
  • Gerardo would like to help out!
  • Cool things that have happened since last year:
  • TBC in Discourse thread!

See y’all next month where we will most likely talk about about FOSDEM and FOSS Backstage :slight_smile:

Aside of conversations about the state of UX and which project structures can accomodate UX well, we talked about:

• The job board! (Again, but it was productive imho). So… @SaptakS post on what Heroku costs gave some clarity on what “paying for Heroku” would mean and people on the call were much in favor to just pay Heroku and get the job board online again for he assumed monthly fee of about $7.
    • I also learned that “paying a developer to redo the job board” might mean “Getting it to work with an alternative to Heroku” whereas I previously assumed this was about creating a brand new solution.

Potentially relevant:

Scrolling back, @belen pointed out that Heroku only allows paying by credit card. I don’t know if there is some solution to it (Someone paying for us and sending us a bill? Just using a private card and sending them money?)

1 Like

We can request a virtual credit card attached to our open collective :))))

here’s the text copy pasted as there is no sensitive info there:

Request a Card

You can request your fiscal host to assign you a credit card for your expenses.

Card use policy

Virtual cards are debit card numbers that can be issued to OSC’s hosted initiatives for paying online for things like: recurring payments, utility bills, online resources/tools, subscriptions, vendors (e.g. wholesale distributors), etc. They are directly tied to collectives’ budget on the Open Collective platform.

How it works:

• Funds are spent only as transactions occur. (Setting up a card does not remove any money from your initiative’s budget.)
  • Submit a virtual card request with the intended use of the card (please specify the names of the services you will use) and the amount budgeted for that use monthly (e.g. $300/monthly). The virtual card with that limit will be set up for your collective.
  • If your collective needs a higher limit on your virtual card please request a limit increase by contacting us at hello@oscollective.org with the intended use and the amount increase needed.
  • To receive an increase, initiative must have a budget on their Open Collective account that exceeds the corresponding amount, and must demonstrate that a higher limit is necessary.
  • Cards must be used in compliance with our policy below.

Requirements/Policy:

• Initiatives must have a minimum of 2 admin members
  • These are virtual cards. No physical card will be issued, so these cannot be used in-store.
  • All transactions should comply with normal usage of initiative funds as outlined in our Terms of Fiscal Sponsorship

Limitations:

If you need to input Cardholder contact details/address:

• Name: Open Source Collective
  • Address: 440 N Barranca Ave #3717 Covina, CA 91723, USA

Steps:

Setup the card:

Initiative admins request the card from OSC:

• Visit your initiative’s page
  • Click Actions → Request a Card
  • OSC will assign the card (please allow time for processing)
  • Once assigned, the card assignee will be notified via email and the card’s details will appear in the initiative’s Settings for you to use (in accordance with this policy)

​After a purchase is made:

The funds will be withdrawn from your initiative

• An “Invitation to submit an expense” will be sent to your initiative admins
  • Admins will be asked to submit your receipt. (If the receipt is not submitted within 30 days, the card access will be paused until you do submit the receipt).
1 Like

Hi! :wave: is the IST friendly time meeting happening?

Missed the metting this previous week and wanted to join for the first time.

2 Likes

oh - we did maintain those a for while but I wasn’t able to keep hosting them - we’d love someone to be the IST hosts if you’d like to attend those I can ‘onboard’ you to being a community meeting host :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the invitation Eriol! for me works as well to attend to the other one. :+1:
I would like to see how is the meeting.

3 Likes

Gentle reminder that the community call is tonight at 7pm CET! Jitsi Meet

(sadly I have a terrible migraine so i’ll be missing the call :frowning: )

Hi all! I think I’ll be able to come to the second half of this month’s call. I want to update OSD on a big project I recently completed:
I recently completed a comic with Google Season of Docs and NumPy! Here’s the link to the comic.

At the monthly call, I can give more context on the process, such as receiving a grant to work on it, brainstorming and reviewing comics NumPy community and handing out paper copies at the PyData NYC conference.

3 Likes