Introductions (come in, say hi)

Github Username: khallow7

1 Like

Hello! My name is Annie (she/her) and I was introduced to this community by @jan :smiley:

I am a user researcher and designer from New York. I graduated from Columbia in 2021, where I studied the intersection of technology, society, and power as an Information Science and Art History major. Iā€™ve had the pleasure of working with The Knight Foundation, The Marshall Project, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The book Design Justice outlines much of what I aspire to!

I just moved to Berlin yesterday and love to sing, make pottery, practice yoga, and meet new people :blush: Iā€™m looking forward to learning from this community and hope I can contribute somehow in the future.

3 Likes

Hello Open Source Designers! My name is Idris, and Iā€™m a visual designer from Lagos, Nigeria :nigeria:. I previously worked as a product designer for Vipre Security Group and have experience in advertising, fashion, lifestyle, and ed-tech industries. I was inspired by open source after attending Unstack.Africa in 2021, where I discovered the power of crowdsourcing and engaging with communities through new technology.

I enjoy binge-watching documentaries on Youtube and engaging with content that broadens my world interest. I am excited to be part of this group, meet other members, and share ideas. Please feel free to add my GitHub profile: Edrees-creator (Idris Ayinde) Ā· GitHub

2 Likes

Welcome @Edrees-creator and @anniekim ! :smiley:

We have a monthly community call at 19.00 CEST every first Wednesday of the month Open Source Design monthly call - Open Source Design and please let me know if you want to be added to our regional github teams - I would need a github username and country/city.

1 Like

Hi @Erioldoesdesign , Thanks for the welcome and the invitation. I want to be added to the regional GitHub teams. Here is my GitHub username: Edrees-creator (Nigeria/Lagos)

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Iā€™m VĆ­ctor, a product designer based in Uruguay. I started my career making physical products around 2007; then, I moved to the digital world. Iā€™m passionate about design at any scale, from the interior of a building to the minimum button of an interface. I share my hobbies between photography and technology (I started making guides for Ifixit because just as we can collaborate with a code in the open source world, I believe that it is excellent to extend the useful life of specific equipment). Itā€™s a pleasure to join the community, learn, collaborate, and share experiences.

4 Likes

Hello everyone! Iā€™m Maya, a Nigeria-based UI/UX designer who is so passionate about understanding users and creating meaningful and usable digital products. I recently started my career this year and Iā€™m also enrolled in the Google Professional UI/UX course, where Iā€™m currently at stage 6. Itā€™s an honor to be a part of this community; nice to meet you all meet you all.

4 Likes

Thank you for the invitation. Iā€™m sad to have missed this monthā€™s community call. My github is ak4308. Iā€™m based in Berlin :slight_smile: Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Iā€™m Sandra Fauconnier. Not a designer, but I work for an open source project (OpenRefine) as its project director and as product manager for one specific feature set. OpenRefine is data wrangling and cleaning software, sometimes affectionately called ā€˜Spreadsheets on Steroidsā€™.

Iā€™m also an active (volunteer) Wikimedian - I mainly contribute to Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata, and to a lesser extent to Wikipedia.

Why am I here? I have worked in mixed teams (product owners, designers, developers) all the time in the past. As an end user of open source software, I really think so many projects would benefit from stronger designer engagement, and am also trying to introduce better UX input into the OpenRefine project (which is an interesting exercise). I learned about this group via @jdittrich. Nice to meet you all.

By the way, Iā€™d love to chat with folks who find OpenRefine interesting. I think I will post some threads on this forum that concerns questions weā€™re (or I am) having in the context of the project.

4 Likes

Hi @trnstlntk, @vicdesign, @Maya great that you joined us!

• If you have questions of open source project collaboration, design methods or usability reviews, post to the design lounge
  • In case you have clear tasks (payed or unpayed)around open source project features, you can put them on jobs
  • We have a monthly community call at 19.00 CEST every first Wednesday of the month Open Source Design monthly call - Open Source Design
  • @Erioldoesdesign can add you to regional github teams if you send Eriol your github username and country
3 Likes

Welcome to the community. Feel free and explore the forum.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
Iā€™m Ikenna Okafor from Nigeria :nigeria:
A Ui/UX designer with a strong passion for design strategy, illustration, typography and storytelling. My Career only just begun and Iā€™m excited to be in this community.

6 Likes

Hi everyone , Iā€™m in between design and development and my open source project is Prototypr.io.
Actually it only recently became open source thanks to Grant for the Web, where we are building an open source, web-monetized publishing platform.

Since Iā€™m new to running an open-source project, Iā€™m here to learn how to do that, and figure out how designers fit in, and grow their involvement!

3 Likes

Hello @Ikaywilson, nice to have you join. Iā€™m going to pinch @jdittrichā€™s points above to help me:

• If you have questions of open source project collaboration, design methods or usability reviews, post to the design lounge
  • Tell us - are you involved in any particular project, have any particular interest, are you looking for a project to contribute to?
1 Like

Hi @graeme great to have you join! And congrats on becoming an open source project.

There are many people here involved in open source projects, design aswell as development so hopefully we can be of help.

In my view, there is no one sure way to get design involved in an open source project - how ā€œseriouslyā€ design is considered, project size, level of domain knowledge needed to make useful contributions, the welcome they receive, how often/frequently their contributions are merged, resources (time, finances, tools, etc), userbase, location of contributors all play a part in it.

But thereā€™s a lot of people here with other experience and advice. Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about how your work goes.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I am Tolulope from Nigeria. I am a product designer, and I also have experience in product management. Happy to be here.

3 Likes

Hello, My name is Uchenna Chiagozie from Nigeria, I am a software engineer expertise in front end development. I was looking for open source project that I will contribute and searching through the internet and I saw this forum so I was excited to open and immediately join this cause. I have been a front end developer for almost 4+ yrs, please I really need Open source project especially front end project to contribute.

3 Likes

Welcome :tada: itā€™s great to have you here. Make sure you keep checking out the job board Jobs - Jobs for projects to contribute to and I would also recommend the bitcoin.design folks for great Front End Visual design things that can be contributed :smiley:

Welcome! itā€™s great to have you here :smile:

Many thanks @Erioldoesdesign . Glad to be here.:smile: