FOSDEM 2020 Open Source Design organisation

I remember the panel discussion from the devroom last year. I think that was really cool and what do you all think about having the same again?

I’ve heard from a number of people that they thought it was good. If others agree also I think it would be a good session.

@amit.lzkpa I think your topics are good options. Personally I really like the 1st and 3rd option - though all 3 would get good discussion. For the 3rd option, I think it’d be good to contact some maintainers to invite them to be part of it and see what they say.

Anyone here got some burning questions or topics for panels?

The last one was for the shout outs which I think is awesome and I say we reserve a slot for that.

Do you mean this one - Developers looking for designers? Show off your project! - Open Source Design job board in person?

Yes that is a “staple” session to finish off the day, I think it’s a good idea to continue with it. What about others?

I had to change the setting to make the wiki publicly editable.
Just did that. It should work now.
Let me know if you gibe it a try.

Yep, it works now :slight_smile: I’ve just added the Libre Graphics Meeting mailing list.

2 Likes

I can’t find any talk under your name :face_with_monocle::
I just realized you are Ecaterina!

These are all the talks.
First by @ei8fdb, second by @belenbarrospena and third by you.

For voting, Pentabarf has the public voting system, right?
And if I remember it correctly the voting is open to everyone?

I don’t think we can delete it. I’ve marked it as ‘rejected’ for now (only 9268).

Sounds good! :smiley: :+1:

Let me know if I can help in any way.

That sounds like a great plan.
I’m reaching out to a few folks I’ve been in direct contact with and will look into the lists.
5-6 by each of us can be great. I am targeting to have sent 5 of them by 20th this month.
On the wiki I also have a page called Spiels (with the irony intended). Feel free to copy/add/edit!
If you’ve got the body for what you send to the mailing lists it would be helpful.

:raised_hands:

Yes!

@amit.lzkpa

The test talk is called “my first 6 months on the board”. I didn’t submit it - it was a test from apachecon a few weeks ago. This talk can be deleted.

second by @belenbarrospena and third by ecaterina and has no abstract.
I’m guessing they all get deleted.

The 2nd and 3rd talk can stay, as they’re real talks from @belenbarrospena and @evalica.

For voting, Pentabarf has the public voting system, right?

For our voting we use a simple spreadsheet. We use this to vote and count the votes as Pentabarf is…alooooot of work.

And if I remember it correctly the voting is open to everyone?

Yes correct. Everyone can vote, however you cannot 1) vote for your submission, 2) vote for only 1 or 2 - you have to vote for the majority of the talks so we can fill the sessions fairly.

We had a discussion about voting before last FOSDEM.

I’m posting a link to the message about the usability testing workshop at Brussels Hackspace the Friday before FOSDEM here, as it’s kinda connected.

1 Like

All,

Quick update:
We still have 3 submission (effectively 2).
I’ve requested and posted to more mailing lists and threads (found some new ones as well).
Planning to update the checklist this weekend.

Cheers!

hello! I submitted a proposal in the lightning talk track to talk about about open source design movement in Africa - I wasn’t sure if the proposal made through, did it?

Theme - Open Source design - Africa

Hi Peace!

This looks fantastic!
However I see your talk listed in the Lightning Talk category.
Submissions to OSD devroom have to submitted to the Open Source Design track.
Can you please update your submission for that?

Thank you!

I haave! Thanks Amit!

Just a quick update on the OSD stand. The FOSDEM organisers have decided to give some projects only one stand day this year, and we are one of them.

Our allocated day is Sunday (see https://fosdem.org/2020/news/2019-11-19-accepted-stands/). Since that’s the same day as the devroom, I will email the organisers to try and switch it to Saturday.

Received it.
It’s in the pool now!

@ei8fdb @belenbarrospena @evalica @victoria-bondarchuk

The checklist (updated):

• :ballot_box_with_check: Submit proposal for Developer Room on Fosdem.org | example | Deadline: 20 September
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Submit proposal for Stand on Fosdem.org #52 | Deadline: 1 November
  • :ballot_box_with_check: See accepted developer rooms announcement on Fosdem.org | example | Deadline: 2 October
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Create Fosdem 2020 event on opensourcedesign.net | example | Deadline: 12 October (Create event as soon as devroom is accepted)
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Create Fosdem 2020 Call for Participation article on opensourcedesign.net | example | Deadline: 12 October (Or as soon as devroom is accepted)
    • :ballot_box_with_check: Fix the dates for the track when they are announced
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Manage the Fosdem 2020 Call for Participation step on Pentabarf | Deadline: 1 December (or earlier)
  • Promote the Call for Participation on Twitter and mailinglists | example | Deadline: 1 December
  • Brainstorm on talks | example | Deadline: 10 December
  • ☐ Create the session proposals review spreadsheet | example | Deadline: 5 December
  • ☐ Send review mail to community members on mailinglist | mail: Session proposals for review - Open Source Design devroom | Deadline: 15 December (or earlier)
  • ☐ The acceptance / rejection notifications to speakers via pentabarf | Deadline: 15 December (or earlier)
  • ☐ Publish developer rooms complete schedules on Fosdem.org | example | Deadline: 15 December (or earlier)
  • ☐ Create promotional materials (stickers, banners) for opensourcedesign #43 | Deadline: 15 January
  • ☐ Organize the open source design dinner #62 | Deadline: INSERT-DATE
  • ☐ Handle the devroom logistics videobox | example | Deadline: INSERT_DATE
  • Cover the event on Twitter | example | Deadline: 4-5 Feb
  • ☐ Open Source Design Devroom sessions presenter | Deadline: 2 Feb
  • ☐ Open Source Design Dinner + picture | Deadline: 1 Feb
  • ☐ Open Source Design Devroom picture | example | Deadline: 4-5 Feb
  • ☐ Review the videos recording start/end times for the talks in order to be published
  • ☐ Create FOSDEM 2020 slides folder on opensourcedesign Github example | Deadline: 1 Mar
  • ☐ Submit talks slides on opensourcedesign GitHub| example | Deadline: 1 Mar
  • ☐ Write post event article on opensourcedesign.net | Deadline: 1 Mar
  • ☐ Provide a link to the video recordings | example | Deadline: 31 Jul

Pentabarf updates:

Mailing list updates:

Folks, we need help promoting I think.
4 days to go!

2 Likes

Hi @amit.lzkpa

You rejected my talk! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

The one that needs to be marked as rejected is “My first 6 months on the board” :slight_smile:

I am planning on completing my submission today or tomorrow, but if you can’t un-reject the talk I can always submit again.

And I agree we need to start promoting this (I will be sending some emails today), and that we should start thinking of an extension. Should we give people an extra week to submit stuff?

It looks like to change our stand day from Sunday to Saturday we would need to find a Saturday stand willing to switch with us. That’s very unlikely to happen, so we will be having both stand and devroom on Sunday.

A tiny bug report on the call for participation. It reads

• Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2019

Instead of

• Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020
1 Like

Thanks @dachary :slight_smile:

Just sent a pull request to correct the event date

@ei8fdb tells me we have now 11 submissions to the devroom (one of them with no abstract or description yet), including the “OSD collective” and the “Pitch your project” sesssions, which we have added to Pentabarf.

The deadline for submission is tomorrow, so what about extending it for a week or so until 7th December?

If we are going to extend, the announcement should probably go out tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

If you think we should not extend, please post here before Monday. Otherwise I guess we assume everybody is happy with extending and we announce it to the world on Monday :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. Dec 7th sounds good. I’ll send some twitterers mentioning this.

@belenbarrospena
I think that was just an error showing up in Pentabarf when I took the screenshot.
Or maybe @ei8fdb fixed it. Either way it looks good now.

This is the latest.

We’ve got more than a handful of proposals.
December 7th sounds good!

1 Like