FOSDEM 2019 Open Source Design organization

I am copying @evalica’s great list from this year’s preparation thread, and replicating it here. Yes, I’m being presumptuous, but hea…I’m positive!

(Similar as last year like @ei8fdb did at FOSDEM 2018 Open Source Design organisation · Issue #64 · opensourcedesign/events · GitHub :slight_smile: The dates are copied so might need ot be adjusted when the actual call for proposals opens.)

2019 FOSDEM guidelines/tasks

• :ballot_box_with_check: Submit proposal for Developer Room on Fosdem.org | example | Deadline: 20 September

• :ballot_box_with_check: Primary contact gets devroom submission answer from FOSDEM organisers by email. | 30 September

• :ballot_box_with_check: Submit proposal for Stand on Fosdem.org #52 | Deadline: 3 November

• :ballot_box_with_check: See accepted developer rooms announcement on Fosdem.org | example | Deadline: 2 October

• :ballot_box_with_check: Create FOSDEM 2019 event on opensourcedesign.net | example | Deadline: 16 October (Create event as soon as devroom is accepted)

• :ballot_box_with_check: Create FOSDEM 2019 Call for Participation article on opensourcedesign.net | example | Deadline: 16 October (Or as soon as devroom is accepted)

• :ballot_box_with_check: Fix the dates for the track when they are announced

• :ballot_box_with_check: Manage the FOSDEM 2019 Call for Participation step on Fosdem.org | Deadline: 16 October (or earlier)

• :ballot_box_with_check: Promote the Call for Participation on Twitter and OS mailinglists | example | Deadline: 16 October (Or as soon as devroom is accepted)

• :ballot_box_with_check: Brainstorm on talks | example | Deadline: 15 December (Or as soon as devroom is accepted)

• :ballot_box_with_check: Propose deadline extension, check with other OSD members

• :ballot_box_with_check: Send PR to events repo to update CfP on Open Source Design website to reflect extended deadline

• :ballot_box_with_check: Publicise the deadline extension on social media, OSD forum, and other locations

• Update call for proposals with devroom location once FOSDEM organisers notify devroom managers email list. (around 30 Nov - 4/5 Dec)

• Send thank you email to all who submitted, including small survey

• Create the session proposals review spreadsheet | example | Deadline: 15 December (Or as soon as devroom is accepted)

• Send review mail to community members on mailinglist | mail: Session proposals for review - Open Source Design devroom | Deadline: 15 December (or earlier)

• The acceptance / rejection notifications to speakers via pentabarf | Deadline: 15 December (or earlier)

• Publish developer rooms complete schedules on Fosdem.org | example | Deadline: 15 December (or earlier)

• Create promotional materials (stickers, banners) for opensourcedesign #43 | Deadline: INSERT-DATE

• Organize the open source design dinner #62 | Deadline: INSERT-DATE

• Handle the devroom logistics videobox | example | Deadline: INSERT_DATE

• Cover the event on Twitter | example | Deadline: 4-5 Feb

• Open Source Design Devroom sessions presenter | Deadline: 4-5 Feb

• Open Source Design Dinner + picture | Deadline: 3-5 Feb

• Open Source Design Devroom picture | example | Deadline: 4-5 Feb

• Review the videos recording start/end times for the talks in order to be published

• Create FOSDEM 2018 slides folder on opensourcedesign Github example | Deadline: 1 Mar

• Submit talks slides on opensourcedesign GitHub| example | Deadline: 1 Mar

• Write post event article on opensourcedesign.net | Deadline: 1 Mar

• Provide a link to the video recordings | example | Deadline: 31 Jul

3 Likes

Hi,

FOSDEM opened call for participation here: https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/

Key dates:

• 13 October
    • deadline for first batch of main track proposals
  • 3 November
    • final deadline for main track proposals
  • 1 November onwards
    • main track talks announced (in batches)

Who is interested to organize it this year? @belenbarrospena @jan? I would be happy to help this year as well, last year was fun :heartbeat:

2 Likes

and for the stands, just in case we want to do it again:

• 2 November: deadline for stand proposals
  • 11 November: accepted stands announced

Happy to help with everything, but as usual I would love to see new people taking on the main responsibilty.

If you would like to coordinate either the stand or the devroom, put yourself forward! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m willing to do the organising this year.

I understand there needs to be a main name to act as contact, so I’m willing to do that. My main concern is, I do get busy at different points of time during the year.

I’d like if there was a possibility of sharing the work between me and someone else. @victoria-bondarchuk can I persuade you? :wink: Anyone else?

It would be helpful if those who’ve organised it previous years had some super top tips they could give us newbies? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can help too. I prefer being a contact / organizer for the Dev Room, more than the Stand, but I guess you can add me wherever is necessary.

2 Likes

Very good @evalica thanks. :+1: Do you want to be main contact, or are you happy for me to be that?

Does anyone else want to volunteer to organise the stand?

2 Likes

@ei8fdb you can count on me! :raising_hand_woman:

This year you can have the honor to be the main contact :slight_smile: I’m happy for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve started the application for this year’s FOSDEM Devroom.

I’ve made very few edits to the proposal yet. I’ve made the post into a “wiki” post, so it’s editable by others so we can collaborate on it.

If you want to make a change, you’re very welcome to. (If something isn’t clear - I’ll ask :slight_smile: )

The submission needs to be sent by September 20th.

@victoria-bondarchuk, @evalica you’ve both expressed interest. Any thoughts?

Devroom Request for FOSDEM 2019

Title: Open Source Design 2019
Coordinator: Bernard Tyers (& others!?)
Coordinator email: email.for.fosdem
Secondary contact: Please add.
Secondary email: Please add.

Description
After 4 years of successful devrooms, we want to continue our presence at FOSDEM this year.

Our continuing aim for our devroom is to advocate and promote the inclusion of design - in all forms - in open source.

There is demand for a devroom with this topic - our CfP results in more submissions than we can accomodate, our devroom schedule is full. For the last 2 or 3 years we’ve used our “ROOM IS FULL” sign a number of times a day. :slight_smile:

Since the beginning of our Open Source Design community (https://opensourcedesign.net/) we promoted several initiatives, like having a “jobs board” where FOSS projects, large and small, looking for design contributors can connect with available designers. We’ve had job posts from Moodle, Discourse, OpenEMR, Drupal, Inkscape, Tellform, etc.

Members of the Open Source Design Collective have started meetups in different cities throughout the world - Freiburg, Madrid, Boston, Colorado, New York.

TODO We’ve also held 2 Open Source Design summits

TODO We’ve also become affiliated to FSFE and EFF.

TODO
[ ] talks we’ve given at other events to promote design (I’m thinking CCC)
[ ] include design clinic stand mention

FOSDEM helped us having a place to meet yearly face to face, talk about the projects/ideas/challenges we faced over the year and we hope to have a healthy number of proposals submitted and great attendance this year too.

The goal of this devroom is to showcase design work done within free and open source projects, and strengthen the connections between designers involved in FOSS.

We mean “design” in a broad sense, and we include within that term typography, graphic design, interaction design, user experience and design research activities.

Possible topics include

FOSS design tools
Design techniques and deliverables
Design - engineering collaboration approaches
User engagement and design research activities
Project case studies
Experiences of doing design in open source projects 

After receiving several requests, we will probably dedicate an hour to project pitches, so that projects looking for design contributions can introduce themselves and establish contact with designers eager to help.

Coordinator’s affinity to the topic of the devroom
_TODO_Description

Why does it fit FOSDEM?
FOSS projects bring in particular challenges that affect almost every aspect of design. Techniques and approaches used in closed software settings must be re-purposed and adapted to FOSS. This is hard to do on your own.

We hope that sharing experiences across projects and communities will help establish a set of practices that are effective, flexible and transferable across FOSS projects.

The devroom last year also proved to be a great way of connecting designers with FOSS projects looking for design contributors.

Having a devroom again next year will increase our chances to expand the community and will give us the opportunity to spread the word between developers regarding how and where to get design help for their projects.

Relevant URLs

Timeslot
Full day

Special requirements
A room which is accessible to those with motor skill impairments - a room which is accessible with both stairs and lift.

3 Likes

I’ve made some small typos corrections. Sounds good, a bit of duplication in terms of what we did “last year” and our goals between the new/old version, but it looks good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everything sounds great! Awesome to mention that we’ve become affiliated to FSFE and EFF. Thank you @ei8fdb for doing this.

Here’s the final submission text for devroom 2019.

Title of devroom
Open Source Design devroom

Elaborate description of proposed devroom (including possible topics):
After 4 years of successful devrooms, we want to continue our presence at FOSDEM this year.

The goal of this devroom is to showcase design work done within free and open source projects, and strengthen the connections between designers involved in FOSS.

We mean “design” in a broad sense, and we include within that term typography, graphic design, interaction design, user experience and design research activities.

FOSDEM helped us have a place to meet yearly face to face, talk about the projects/ideas/challenges we faced over the year and we hope to have a healthy number of proposals submitted and great attendance this year too.

Looking at statistics of our previous years dev rooms, it’s clear there is a demand for a devroom with this topic -

• our CfP results in more submissions than we can accomodate, our devroom schedule is full
  • for the last 2 or 3 years we’ve used our “ROOM IS FULL” sign a number of times a day :slight_smile:

Since the beginning of our Open Source Design community we promoted several initiatives, like having a “jobs board” where FOSS projects, large and small, looking for design contributors can connect with available designers.

We’ve had job posts from large and small projects - Moodle, Discourse, OpenEMR, Drupal, Inkscape, Tellform, etc.

After receiving several requests, we will probably dedicate an hour to project pitches, so that projects looking for design contributions can introduce themselves and establish contact with designers eager to help. This helps with our jobs-board.

Last year we also had an Open Source Design “clinic” stand, where projects were able to spend time with us to get design and research advice. This was a success. The stand was busy for most of the day. We’d like to repeat this again in 2019.

We will be advertising our CfP for them to submit.

Possible topics will be:

• FOSS design tools
  • Design techniques and deliverables
  • Design - engineering collaboration approaches
  • Ways of collaborating for remote teams (designers & research)
  • User engagement and design research activities
  • Project case studies
  • Experiences of doing design in open source projects

Why does it fit FOSDEM?
FOSS projects bring in particular challenges that affect almost every aspect of design. Techniques and approaches used in closed software settings must be re-purposed and adapted to FOSS. This is hard to do on your own.

We hope that sharing experiences across projects and communities will help establish a set of practices that are effective, flexible and transferable across FOSS projects.

The devroom last year also proved to be a great way of connecting designers with FOSS projects looking for design contributors.

Having a devroom again next year will increase our chances to expand the community and will give us the opportunity to spread the word between developers regarding how and where to get design help for their projects.

From our activity at FOSDEM, members of the Open Source Design Collective have started meetups in different cities throughout the world - Freiburg, Madrid, Boston, Colorado, New York. We’d like to continue, and support this.

Relevant URLs

https://discourse.opensourcedesign.net/

Special requirements
In 2017 & 2018 we had a number of requests from people with access needs at FOSDEM for a room which was accessible to those with motor skill impairments.

As we are a devroom which promotes accessibility and inclusion in technology usage and design, a room which is ideally on ground floor, or at least is accessible with both stairs and lift would be very appreciated.

Devroom contacts
@victoria-bondarchuk I’ve put you down as 2nd contact, if thats OK?

Fingers crossed we get approval. I’ll hear back on the 30th of September. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Deadline for stand proposals is November 2nd, so here is a first draft of the submission for you to comment on.

Also, if anybody would like to be the secondary contact, let me know.

Name of project:
Open Source Design

Description of project(s) for publication:
Open Source Design is a community of designers and developers advocating more open, human-centered and participatory design processes within free and open source software. We understand “design” in a broad sense, and our community includes interaction designers, content experts, design researchers, information architects, graphic designers, usability and user experience professionals, and of course software developers. What we all share is the conviction that engaging users in the process of developing software results in better software.

Our booth will be running a “design clinic”, an informal one-to-one set up where you can sit down with a designer to talk about your FOSS project, ask questions and seek advice on diverse aspects of design, from usability testing to typography. Our volunteer designers have a mix of skills and experience, both in commercial and FOSS projects.

Why does it fit FOSDEM?
Open Source Design has been present at FOSDEM since 2015, when we organised our first devroom. Our sole purpose is advocating human-centered design within FOSS. Our devrooms have been well attended, and we have seen strong demand for design contributions. The design clinic last year gave us the opportunity to engage more actively with projects, and created opportunities for stable and long-term collaborations between designers and FOSS projects. We would like to repeat the activity in 2019.
One of the issues we had last year was lack of space for the design clinic. That’s why we are asking for 2 tables this year, so that we can allocate one of them exclusively to the design clinic.

Number of tables:

Primary contact
Belén Barros Pena

Submitter’s affinity to the project(s):
I have been involved with Open Source Design since its inception. I was the main co-ordinator of the first and second devrooms in 2015 and 2016, and have been involved in the organisation of the subsequent devrooms in 2017 and 2018.

Project website URL:

Project logo URL

Project contact email address
none

Source code location:

Additional links (e.g. IRC, Google+, RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, mailing list etc.):
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/opensrcdesign

IRC:
https://riot.im/app/#/room/#opensourcedesign:matrix.org

Forum:

Special requirements:
A couple of extra chairs. The design clinic format requires visitors to sit down with the designer to have a quiet, and relatively long (about 15 minutes) chat, often with a laptop in front of them. So having chairs where visitors can sit would be handy. We expect 2 designers available in the clinic at any given time, which means we would need 2 extra chairs.

1 Like

Good stuff! :slight_smile: I’d only say to adjust the request for 2 tables to something like “2 tables (if possible)” as on the page they seem to want to make it clear that it’s unlikely projects get 2 tables. (So just that we don’t get disqualified for asking like “2 or nothing”, you know what I mean?)

Not sure what you mean with this phrase. My question would be: what are you doing to the other table? since you mostly talk about running the design clinic at the tables. I guess you are referring to the stickers :slight_smile: anyway, sounded a bit strange.

I guess we also have the core email address.

Anyway, good job Belen!

@jan They use a drop down menu for the number of tables, but I’ve added the “if possible” bit to the Why does it fit FOSDEM? question

@evalica I’ve added the core email address and clarified the purpose of each table.

Thanks both for reviewing and commenting!! :slight_smile:

Below is the final version I’ll be submitting later today.

Name of project:
Open Source Design

Description of project(s) for publication:
Open Source Design is a community of designers and developers advocating more open, human-centered and participatory design processes within free and open source software. We understand “design” in a broad sense, and our community includes interaction designers, content experts, design researchers, information architects, graphic designers, usability and user experience professionals, and of course software developers. What we all share is the conviction that engaging users in the process of developing software results in better software.

Our booth will be running a “design clinic”, an informal one-to-one set up where you can sit down with a designer to talk about your FOSS project, ask questions and seek advice on diverse aspects of design, from usability testing to typography. Our volunteer designers have a mix of skills and experience, both in commercial and FOSS projects.

Why does it fit FOSDEM?
Open Source Design has been present at FOSDEM since 2015, when we organised our first devroom. Our sole purpose is advocating human-centered design within FOSS. Our devrooms have been well attended, and we have seen strong demand for design contributions. The design clinic last year gave us the opportunity to engage more actively with projects, and created opportunities for stable and long-term collaborations between designers and FOSS projects. We would like to repeat the activity in 2019.

One of the issues we had last year was lack of space for the design clinic. That’s why we are asking for 2 tables this year if possible. We would allocate one table to the standard booth activities (providing information about the project, distributing stickers and other project promotional materials), and we would allocate the second table to the design clinic.

Number of tables:

Primary contact
Belén Barros Pena

Submitter’s affinity to the project(s):
I have been involved with Open Source Design since its inception. I was the main co-ordinator of the first and second devrooms in 2015 and 2016, and have been involved in the organisation of the subsequent devrooms in 2017 and 2018.

Project website URL:

Project logo URL

Project contact email address
core@opensourcedesign.net

Source code location:

Additional links (e.g. IRC, Google+, RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, mailing list etc.):
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/opensrcdesign

IRC:

Forum:

Special requirements:
A couple of extra chairs. The design clinic format requires visitors to sit down with the designer to have a quiet, and relatively long (about 15 minutes) chat, often with a laptop in front of them. So having chairs where visitors can sit would be handy. We expect 2 designers available in the clinic at any given time, which means we would need 2 extra chairs if possible.

3 Likes

Open Source Design stand request submitted to FOSDEM :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Our devroom got accepted, see https://twitter.com/bernardtyers/status/1049930719986937856
It will be on Saturday.

2 Likes

Stand accepted \0/

Only one table though: all stands will be one table this year so that they can make space for more projects :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I applied with Tereza Novotna with a talk and the user interface for the application wasn’t really convincing. I’d like to ask if our application got through or not. There’s also a chance that we made a duplication …

Regards

David