FOSDEM 2020 Open Source Design organisation

Hi all,

The room allocation for each devroom has just been released. If you’ve subscribed to the FOSDEM devroom manager list, you can see the whole list (link only works if subscribed).

Open Source Design devroom location this year is H.2213 (which I’m pretty sure means - H building, 2nd floor, room 213) and has a full capacity of 100.

We need to update the call for proposals with the devroom location.

2 Likes

We should put in place some way to deal with questions about talk submissions before closing dates. From memory this is the first time we’ve had someone ask this, but it’s understandable.

Maybe there is a “send thank you for your talk email” checkbox buried somewhere in Pentabarf? :wink:

Worse case we update the CfP saying we’ll let you know by [X] days after the closing date.

Just opened a PR to update the CfP with the room number and notification date of December 25th.
Didn’t find the auto email option on Pentabarf anywhere.

1 Like

I’m putting this mail here as it will become useful when we need to get the talk proposals out of 5TimesBarf (Pentabarf :stuck_out_tongue: ) to start voting.

The mail was sent to the FOSDEM devroom managers list.

Hi Walter

We have been having this issue for some time, last year I wrote a small program in Go for this that we now use to export to CSV. I put it on GitHub for everyone to use: GitHub - meyskens/penta-export: Export FOSDEM Pentabarf proposals to CSV. Hope it helps you for now, PRs very welcome!

The script functions pretty simply:

• give it the user/pass of the admin pentabarf
  • give it the devroom pentabarf ID

It then outputs a CSV with the talk title, description, abstract, etc.

:tada:

@ei8fdb
I tried to use the script but it didn’t work for me.
It crashes with some error about permissions for the executable file.

Could you give a shot at pulling out our list?
Thanks!

Hi @amit.lzkpa,

I also tried and got some weird errors. :confused: In the end @belenbarrospena kindly did a copy and paste job into a spreadsheet.

I’ll post the spreadsheet later today. :wave:

That’s great.

I started making a little exporter of my own.
It’s not done yet.
But great if it’s done already!

Thanks @belenbarrospena

1 Like

:trumpet::trumpet:Attention!! Attention!!:trumpet::trumpet:

FOSDEM 2020 devroom session voting is ready!

Voting deadline
You have until :timer_clock: midnight Wednesday, 18th December :timer_clock: to vote!

Rules on voting
:+1: The only rules are:

1. You have 14 votes - from all the sessions listed, you must select the 14 you would like to see included in the devroom.
  2. Don’t vote for your own talk.

This is a blind review, so don’t ask for the speaker name. Some smart people will be able to infer speaker, we can’t do much about that.

How do I vote?

1. Follow the link to the voting spreadsheet

2. Read through each talk submission.

3. Put your name in 1 of the available cells -
    FOSDEM_2017_-Open_Source_Design_Schedule-_Google_Sheets

4. If you like a talk, put 1 on the row.

When voting closes, we’ll add them up votes. The highest voted talks will then go into the schedule.

If you have any questions or need help, let us know.

3 Likes

Voting deadline
You have until :timer_clock: midnight DATE TO BE DEFINED :timer_clock: to vote!

I think we need to set a date for this. What about Sunday December 15th?

2 Likes

@ei8fdb Not sure if it is still accepted, but I voted! Great job on preparing everything @amit.lzkpa

2 Likes

Apologies, I’ve been :face_with_thermometer: so haven’t had a chance to reply.

We need to have them finished by :spiral_calendar: :spiral_calendar: December 18th - Wednesday :spiral_calendar: :spiral_calendar:.

We then need to get Pentabarf updated with accepted/rejected.

So can everyone please get voting on the submissions? So far we’ve had 4 people voting.

Thank you @dmichl, @amit.lzkpa, @belenbarrospena, @victoria-bondarchuk. :pray:

How do I vote?

All you need to know is here:

If anyone needs help, let us know.

Of course it’s accepted! :slight_smile:

I was about to apologize for withdrawing the Open Data UX proposal because it turns out nobody is available to present at FOSDEM. Fortunately it is not in the spreadsheet and therefore nobody wasted time reviewing it. :smile:

Hi @dachary,

Hmm, unless it was deleted by whoever submitted it? We copied all the submissions to the spreadsheet, last Friday.

Not sure what could have happened. Pity nobody is available to present. :frowning:

Friendly reminder you’ve got 1 day to vote for FOSDEM 2020 talks.

All the details are available here:

Apologies @dachary

This was human error. We had to copy and paste the proposals information manually from the submission system and we managed to skip your session.

Sorry to hear you won’t join us: maybe next time.

According to the number of votes in the review spreadsheet, the accepted presentations are:

1. What are we talking about when we say “open design”? (12 votes)
  2. Exploring User Mental Models of End-to-End Encrypted Communication Tools (11 votes)
  3. Gitflow Design (11 votes)
  4. Open Source design - Africa (11 votes)
  5. Pitch your project (11 votes)
  6. Some Excerpts from the Theory of Design in Architecture (11 votes)
  7. UI/UX Tips & Tricks for developers (11 votes)
  8. Beyond the Pile of Knobs: Usability and Design for Privacy, Security, Safety & Consent (10 votes)
  9. File sharing & storage for human rights organizations (10 votes)
  10. Accessibility in MuseScore (9 votes)
  11. Design contributions to OSS: Learnings from the Open Design project at Ushahidi (8 votes)
  12. Designing to change it all (8 votes)
  13. Introduction to our Open Source Design collective (8 votes)

and fighting for the last slot, we have 2 presentations with 7 votes:

1. Using biometric gadgets for express-tests in the UX/UI research (7 votes)
  2. UXBOX, the time for an open source online prototyping platform has arrived (7 votes)

My gut feeling is to accept 14 and 15 and we introduce the collective briefly during the opening session, eliminating 13 from the list. Any thoughts?

Also, could @amit.lzkpa or @ei8fdb confirm the devroom starting and finishing times on Sunday? I am not sure whether we need to finish at 17:00 or 17:30, and whether we can start from 10 or from 10:30.

Thanks!

I had the bright idea (duh) of checking the devroom timetables from last year. On Sunday devrooms can start from 9:00 and must finish by 17:00.

Since nobody has complained about the idea of fitting talks 14 and 15 in the previous post and do the collective intro at the beginning, here comes a programme proposal:

BLOCK 1: ABOUT OPEN SOURCE DESIGN AND DESIGN IN GENERAL
09:30 - 09:50 1. Opening and intro to our collective
10:00 - 10:20 2. Open Source design - Africa
10:30 - 10:50 3. What are we talking about when we say “open design”?

BLOCK 2: DESIGN PRACTICE: WORKFLOWS, TOOLS AND ACCESSIBILITY

11:00 - 11:20 4. Some Excerpts from the Theory of Design in Architecture
11:30 - 11:50 5. UI/UX Tips & Tricks for developers
12:00 - 12:20 6. Accessibility in MuseScore
12:30 - 12:50 7. Gitflow Design
13:00 - 13:20 8. UXBOX, the time for an open source online prototyping platform has arrived
13:30 - 13:50 9. Using biometric gadgets for express-tests in the UX/UI research

BLOCK 3: CASE STUDIES

14:00 - 14:20 10. Beyond the Pile of Knobs: Usability and Design for Privacy, Security, Safety & Consent
14:30 - 14:50 11. Exploring User Mental Models of End-to-End Encrypted Communication Tools
15:00 - 15:20 12. File sharing & storage for human rights organizations
15:30 - 15:50 13. Design contributions to OSS: Learnings from the Open Design project at Ushahidi
16:00 - 16:20 14. Designing to change it all

BLOCK 4: PROJECT PITCHES

16:30 - 17:00 15. Pitch your project

I have time on Monday morning to send the emails to speakers and configure Pentabarf. So if you would like to make any changes to the programme suggested above, please comment before Monday.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

Eventually I found the start and end time of the devrooms. It’s in the FOSDEM schedule website.

Sunday devroom end time is 17:00, and start time is between 09:00 and 10:00.

I agree with this.

How about this:

9:30 - start with room opening and OSD introduction (13 above)
10:00 - talks start proper
16:30 - final talk, finishes at 17:00

@belenbarrospena, what do you think?

This looks good IMO. Great job!
We said in the past we should not start before 10, but I would also prefer to have a new talk and have our recurrent (but important) presentational / introductory talk before (especially since it got votes).

2 Likes