Working on FOSDEM 2023 devroom application & CfP

@nim @brownie here’s an etherpad with old FOSDEM Calls for Proposals:

https://pad.ei8fdb.org/p/fosdem-osd--devroom-2023

It shows how we’ve written them in the past, to give you some inspiration if it helps. It also has a link to the devroom application form.

There are still some details which need to be defined, because things are not clear yet from the FOSDEM organisers, but we can work those out later.

Would you put together the proposal for this year and have it ready to review by the 15th?

Do you think that’s doable?

cc @Erioldoesdesign

3 Likes

I know Victory was hoping to take a break from OSS volunteer work (or reduce their time spent on vol hours) for the remainder of the year - I spoke with them Monday this week :slight_smile:

Also just noting that Nimisha said “I am interested in getting involved as well, but not as a primary organiser” Fosdem 2023 - #18 by nim So I want to be sure they feel well supported and not overburdened :heart:

Happy to help in whatever way I can both

1 Like

Alright, I can do this by 15.10 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Super! If you and Victory have any questions at all, let Eriol and I know and we’ll help.

1 Like

Sounds good. I’d go through it as well.

1 Like

Heya, I whipped something up in this doc
Let me know what you think @brownie
cc @ei8fdb @Erioldoesdesign

Some questions on my end:

• How will someone let us know if they would be presenting in-person or remotely? Does pentabarf allow that? I haven’t gotten a chance to check it out yet.
  • How will the presenter show their slides? Would they have to bring their own laptop and connect that to a screen/projector? Or do they have to submit their slides to us and we sort that out?
1 Like

That looks good to me @nim. I’ll wait until @brownie has a chance to review it.

About your questions:

How will someone let us know if they would be presenting in-person or remotely? Does pentabarf allow that? I haven’t gotten a chance to check it out yet.

This is a good question! I don’t yet know the answer.

I need to ask the FOSDEM organisers how this is to happen. I’ll get the answer and let you know.

How will the presenter show their slides? Would they have to bring their own laptop and connect that to a screen/projector? Or do they have to submit their slides to us and we sort that out?

From other years, we prefer the presenter to make their slides available to download so we can display them.

If they want to use their own laptop it is their decision but they’ll need to take care of connecting the laptop to the projector - we can’t help with finding the right video cable adapter, etc. That’s beyond our capabilities.

Also I’m afraid I went backwards at this! I posted the Call for Proposals (i.e. the public request we make to the community to ask them to submit talk ideas) instead of the devroom application (i.e. the application we Open Source Design make to FOSDEM). I’m really sorry about that.

The order is usually: write the Devroom Application then the Call for Proposals. :man_facepalming:

@nim @brownie do you think you’ll have time to write the Devroom Application by October 15th?

For inspiration, here is the devroom application from 2018:

and here is the blank application for 2023 if you want to use it:

(This is open for edits)

@nim @brownie if you both don’t have time, that’s OK, the mix-up was completely my fault. Just let us know and we can help.

1 Like

Yes, I’m sure we can. @nim we can find a time to have a call where we do this.

1 Like

hey @brownie and @nim I’m in the Jitsi Meet and I can help out with the FOSDEM dev room application for the next hour if you’re both free :smiley: but also - no stress if not I can also start filling out some of the document details too!

I waited for about 30 mins but I’ll also hop on the jitsi later today at around 8pm GMT/9pm CEST - I started writing the devroom application here: Open Source Design

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I’ll be there in the evening!

@nim I’ve checked pentabarf and there is no way to say a talk is remote. I asked the FOSDEM organisers the same question and no answer yet.

So, I think we should expect it’ll be up to us to ask the speaker when they submit if the talk is to be remote, or in person. A little more work for us, but I think we can do it.

If the organisers do make a way for the speaker to specify, then we can use that.

1 Like

@nim @Erioldoesdesign and I worked on the devroom application this evening. Good work everybody.

@brownie, @core-group and everyone interested, please review this by 2022-10-17T15:00:00Z.

After this time, we will be submitting it.

UPDATE

This is the most up-to-date draft

First draft

FOSDEM 2023 devroom application

FOSDEM devroom application form: FOSDEM 2023 - Devroom submission

Project details

Title of devroom: Open Source Design

Elaborate description of proposed devroom (including possible topics): The Open Source Design devroom is where design and OSS tool builders meet. When we say ‘design’ we mean it in the broadest sense: user research, interface (GUI) and interaction design, information architecture, visual design, typography, illustration, iconography, accessibility, usability, branding and graphics – all in the context of open source projects, which we believe introduces unique challenges. Design is a growing part of non-OSS software builds and OSS tools are now taking into consideration design practices and approaches and how to do these in an ‘Open Source way’ from cultural, sustainable and practical points of view.

Designers themselves and developers (or other roles such as community managers, project managers etc.) working with designers (or on a design-minded project) are welcome to submit proposals. We want to hear not only from designers on design, but the key stakeholders and OSS communities that are vital to design’s success in projects.

Possible topics include:

• FOSS design tools
  • How to do design in OSS spaces - short practical skills session
  • Design techniques and deliverables
  • Design as critical digital infrastructure and Usability as a critical part of OSS tools.
  • Design + engineering/software dev collaboration approaches
  • User engagement and design research activities
  • Results from Design Research for OSS tools
  • Doing design in OSS projects: case studies

Why does it fit FOSDEM?:

Open Source Design has been present at FOSDEM since 2015, when we organised our first devroom.

Our main purpose is advocating human-centered design within FOSS. Our devrooms have been well attended (over 240 online visitors during 2022), and we have seen strong demand for design contributions.

We want to continue to build our Open Source Design community, that focuses on how humans use technology, and has usability at the centre of its existence. The existence of a design devroom at a FOSDEM is now be established, and we want to continue that space for designers to be communicate.

Our design clinic (which occurs in the FOSDEM Stands area) gives us the opportunity to engage more actively with project members and OSS contributors. It also creates opportunities for stable and long-term collaborations between designers and FOSS projects.

Preferred slot: Full day (Saturday)

Preferred devroom kind (Physical vs virtual): Prefer physical (but would accept virtual participation)

Contact information

Primary contact

Pentabarf username of devroom primary: bernard

First name: @ei8fdb

Last name:

E-mail:

Submitter’s affinity to the topic of the devroom: Open Source Design community member (core group)

Secondary contact

First name: @nim

Last name:

E-mail:

At least the pentabarf username for the secondary contact should be added. If you want to add multiple contacts, write their pentabarf username, one per line.

Additional pentabarf ids: @nim, @Erioldoesdesign, @brownie

Additional information

Relevant URLs: https://discourse.opensourcedesign.net/
https://opensourcedesign.net/

Special requirements:
A room which is accessible to those with mobility aids e.g. wheelchairs, cane users, service animal users etc, ideally a room which is ground floor, or accessible with both stairs and lift.

2 Likes

Bumping this thread! any edits are needed by 2022-10-17T15:00:00Z today!

• I suggest to avoid abbreviations like OSS if they are not more common than the unabreviated variant (like it is for NASA, CIA etc.)
  • “where design and OSS tool builders meet”: Minor, but I think it would be good to have “design…Open Source meet” (Concepts) or “designers…tool builders meet” "…or rather “…developers meet” (Roles)
  • "Design is a growing part of non- OSS Open Source software builds . and OSS tools Open Source projects are now taking into consideration now consider design practices and approaches and how to do these in an ‘Open Source way’ from cultural, sustainable and practical points of view.
2 Likes

This is great work. Thank you so much to all involved.

Just a couple of tiny things:

• I agree with @jdittrich that avoiding abbreviations is a good idea. If we use them, let’s be consistent: either OSS or FOSS. Right now the application uses both.

The existence of a design devroom at a FOSDEM is now be established

Let’s not take things for granted! :slight_smile: Maybe we can say something like: “We value the space that FOSDEM has provided us over the years, and would like the opportunity to be there again in 2023”.

Our design clinic (which occurs in the FOSDEM Stands area) gives us the opportunity to engage more actively with project members and OSS contributors. It also creates opportunities for stable and long-term collaborations between designers and FOSS projects.

I would leave this out from here and use it in the stand application instead.

Thanks again for putting this together!

Thanks @jdittrich and @belenbarrospena for the comments. I’ve :

• updated the application draft with you comments
  • defined FOSS in the opening para as Free and open-source software
  • I’ve changed OSS to FOSS

For others - there’s still a few hours to comment.

Thanks all.

1 Like

The time has passed! the form shall be submitted! :smiley: thanks all

it is DONE :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @Erioldoesdesign :+1: - one thing tho’ the acknowledgement says:

Devroom kind:
Prefer physical

but we’d decided on Prefer physical (but would accept virtual participation). Do you know if it’s possible to change it?