Monthly Open Source Design call

There was also talk of moving the call to not a European evening time and more of a day time call (so 12.00 Midday to 16.00?) though that could alienate some of the US based folks but includes the middle east/india/asia based folks.

I would perhaps suggest (if there’s appetite) for a US friendly time, Europe friendly time and try to make either of these India/Asia friendly too.

Anywho, I can start another doodle poll on what preferred timings are for folks but I suspect we won’t find a perfect consensus? thoughts?

1 Like

I think @Erioldoesdesign is probably right. It’s going to be very difficult to find a time slot that suits all three continents. But given the poor call attendance at the moment, it seems the current time is not working either. So yet another Doodle pool might be in order :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doodle poll for lunchtimes/day times for moving the call!

1 Like

Would you mind updating the times table to reflect daylight savings ending? I can’t tell if this is going to put the call at 7am or 8am EST :sweat_smile:

So I think I got the DST times right. The timings there were done after DST so they are/were included in the original times but I’ve added in time after DST go ‘forward’ again.

So looks like this:
CEST 13.00 / GMT 12:00 / IST 17.30 / JST 21.00 / EAT 15.00 / DST(EST) 07.00 (08.00) /DST (PDT) 04.00 (05.00)

Thanks, @Erioldoesdesign for putting the poll together.

I may have voted twice. I voted, but couldn’t see my own vote after submitting, so I voted again :rofl::rofl::rofl:

In any case, my preference is for weekdays at lunchtime :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for fixing, it sucks that US is going to get excluded (other than the east coast) if we switch to Europe lunchtime. If there’s anyway people could do early afternoon that would be amazing :heart_eyes::gift_heart:

1 Like

Hey folks so the next meeting is on the 4th of December (well the 5th of December for me as I’ll be in CST/JST timezone…02.00am meeting. Ouch.)

Same agenda?

18:00 GMT // 19:00 CEST // 23:30 IST // 14:00 EST // 11:00 PST // 21:00 EAT // 02:00 CST // 03:00 JST)

https://meet.jit.si/opensourcedesign

Annnnnnd let’s think agenda!

• FOSSDEM - submissions and extending the deadline~
  • Apache con < How did this go!? I’m super keen to hear
  • Mozfest < Also how did this go? I have some nice updates :smiley:
  • All things open conf < I spoke to some good folks at this conf and there are some opportunities for collaboration!
  • DesignUP conference in Bangalore
  • Open UP! Summit in Taipei
  • CA/SF Bay Area meet up
  • https://www.eff.org/EFA-FAQ
  • Manifesto reading
  • AOB

Push to next meeting?

• Is the repo cloning working now?
  • Are there active issues to work on to support OSD stuff?
  • Something re. Governance docs
1 Like

I’m afraid I will be missing this again :frowning:

But, can I ask for FOSDEM to be added to the agenda? Hopefully some of the people working on the devroom will be in the call and they can give an update.

At this point it would be good to discuss an extension of the submission deadline, something we end up doing every year :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

@belenbarrospena it is done :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be at the meeting. I’m happy to be notetaker.

2 Likes

On 04.12.2019 we had a small call with me, Dina and Bernard.

We discussed:

• What would be an appropriate time and day for the monthly call
  • ApacheCon collaboration effort
  • Opensource articles on external blogs/websites
  • Getting more people involved in OSD (like students)
  • FOSDEM talks selection process, status, extension date
  • Creating a YouTube channel or playlist with FOSDEM videos from OSD devroom
  • Creating OSD t-shirts that we could wear at FOSDEM
  • Meeting again in the next days to tackle the FOSDEM schedule and other organisational stuff.

Very nice to discuss with Dina and Bernard. Sometimes it’s hard to find the time to join the call, but every time it’s a blast :wink:

2 Likes

1000x want OSD crew shirts.

FYI team I’ve booked all my travel and accommodation for Brussels so I’ll see ya’ll at FOSSDEM in whatever capacity I’m most useful~

1 Like

Alas…I thought I could stay awake until 2am…but I’m exhausted…sorry folks

1 Like

@Erioldoesdesign something to add to the agenda for today’s meeting:

1 Like

errrr apparently our monthly meeting was supposed to be yesterday! Jan the 1st 2020.

In my defence I was on a plane at that time.

Do we wanna have a call next Wednesday ready for FOSSDEM? gimme your hot takes and I’ll be a better meeting organiser starting…now!

2 Likes

Again…technically the OSD monthly call was supposed to be the first Wednesday evening (UTC) of Feb which was last week! :sweat_smile:

Shall we get a head start on the agenda for the 4th of March?

Tentative agenda:

• What would be an appropriate time and day for the monthly call << ongoing discussion re timezone-ness
  • New core team member welcome :tada:
  • ApacheCon collaboration effort + Updates
  • Opensource articles on external blogs/websites
  • Getting more people involved in OSD (like students)
  • Creating a YouTube channel or playlist with FOSDEM videos (and other videos?) from OSD devroom
  • Creating OSD t-shirts that we could wear at ~FOSDEM~ any conference!
  • Open UP! Summit in Taipei 2020
  • CA/SF Bay Area meet up

All the things all the time?

1 Like

Discourse won’t let me reply to this more than 3 times… so I had to edit my previous message

So, Wednesday 6th May at 19.00 CEST? Anyone?

Agenda could be!

• OSD virtual Summit? how, why, when?
  • FOSDEM actions left over? are there any?

@macruzbar Apologies we have yet to talk about a SF/CA meet up and supporting you. We have a busy winter/start to the year it seems! Can we please make sure you’re heard and supported going forward :bouquet:

Thanks Eriol for posting the Monthly Meetings notes! Great job!

3 Likes

Hey folks!

I went on https://meet.jit.si/opensourcedesign at approx 18.30pm BST (late due to a previous work meeting!)

I didn’t see anyone so I stuck around for few mins before tapping out.

The core team have discussed a meeting tonight on June the 4th at 20.30pm BST/GMT (see other timezones here!)

I think In general, having a single day with a single time doesn’t cover both core team and the potential global communities.

I’m proposing to trial, for 6 months me doing something like:

Over the first week of every month, so from July 1st to July 7th 2020 (and then for each month after) hold 1 hour meetings at different times of the day.

Proposal example for next month:

July Wednesday 1st - CEST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00 (our regular time)
July Thursday 2nd - EDT ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00
July Friday 3rd - PDT ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00
July Saturday 4th - CEST ‘daytime friendly time’ 13.00
July Sunday 5th - Day off or a request a time day.
July Monday 6th - JST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00
July Tuesday 7th - IST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00

Agendas would be the same across the meetings to get feedback on topics from all different folks.

I’ll also send a pull request to the https://opensourcedesign.net/events/monthly-online-meeting/ page to reflect these changes if we’re cool with them? I propose just trying this out and see if it helps with some of the multi-timezone problems. If it doesn’t well…then we don’t have a timing problem and it’s possibly something else like an async agenda topic on the discourse each month or a shared doc or we record calls to watch back.

1 Like