Monthly Open Source Design call

In preparation for today’s Monthly Design Call, I have created the template on the event page according to @Erioldoesdesign 's suggestion. If you are interested, please feel free to make improvements. Maybe someone can also pin my post to the top of the new thread, as I’m not familiar with it yet.

For tonight, I would be interested to know where we are with this project, who is active (perhaps in the background) for which part and what we can tackle next to create a vibrant community that further anchors the UX idea in the open source world.

I’m gladly looking forward to seeing you this evening.

1 Like

Minutes from the Design Community Call on June 5, 2024:

Participants: @SvenPu, Otto Richter from the Codeberg project

Notes:
Today I had the chance to welcome a new participant to our monthly meeting call: Otto Richter from the Codeberg project. We both are from Germany, which made our communication a little bit easier. :wink: Some members here might have seen and talked to him at this year’s FOSS Backstage conference in Berlin.

Otto introduced the Codeberg project, which is a code hosting platform similar to Github or Gitlab. Codeberg is trying to build a better user experience, e. g. for designers. (Which designer does not know about the problem of comparing two versions of an image, etc.?!)
To achieve this, Codeberg is reaching out to designers, for instance, to conduct user research or design tasks. They’re so grateful for their contributions!
We discussed topics that repeatedly occur in software development projects at the intersection of requirements, design and development, e. g. different points of view of users, developers and designers and approaches to make them more understandable to each other.

I found this a positive discussion and invited Otto into our community. Hopefully, we can welcome him here soon.

For our next meeting on 3 July 2024, I’d love to see some more participants again and get to know more about where we are with our community. Who is active (perhaps in the background) for which part and what we can tackle next to build up a vibrant community that further anchors the UX idea in the open source world?

Best,
Sven

Further information:

2 Likes

@scottjenson mentioned, that he tried to join the meeting on Wednesday at 19:00 CET by opening meet.jit.si/opensourcedesign, but no one was there. As far as I can tell there were also some technical problems when Otto and I joined. I don’t know how long Scott waited in the room - it would not be the first time that Jitsi meeting participants in the same room did not see each other. From my experience, the only way around this is to leave and join again. Let’s hope it did not happen to more people and that it works better next time.
Scott, if there are any issues that you brought up that you wanted to discuss at the meeting, please feel free to discuss them in this forum so that we can all share our thoughts.

1 Like

Hey @SvenPu Thanks for hosting the calls lately - I’ve been on vacation (much needed!) I’ll be around for the July call :)))

I hope Jitsi issues get resolved. The Monthly call i think has always been described as a drop in- drop out and so some folks may not show up every month or on time every month. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there, I hope to be around for the call tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, due to time constraints I probably won’t be able to attend the meeting today. Is anyone else attending and can look after our community and the new participants? Thank you and best regards, Sven

1 Like

I can be there Sven :)))

Minutes from the Design Community Call on July 3, 2024:

Participants: Eriol, Matthew, Juhan, Anita, Scott, Jan D, Gerardo

Notes:

• Quick Intros

• The little core spiel

• Topics!

• Some of the best designers are Engineers.
    • Penpot, first time using and found it really great
    • How are others experiences
      • Constructing libraries are difficult with how things are connected and meta data etc.
      • Better than the older times
      • license metadata is pretty bad overall. There were some attempts in the CC hype in the early 2000s.
      • UI building and bugs. Flex layout is tricky and collaborating across designers is hard.
      • Auto layout is also hard in Figma
      • Design and development - should it have this abstract development model behind it? re. handoff.
      • Just in case anyone does need flexbox help, https://flexboxfroggy.com/ is still probably the easiest way to learn or brush up on your skills.
      • Playfulness is missing in adult pedagogy
      • When you don’t write the content it’s also tricky
      • We had some low fi problems
      • That also feels like a typical human trait… low-fi design = low-fi feedback
      • Using the lowest-fidelity possible (sticky notes, sharpies and paper, even) is often a great way to save time and create a lot of clarity in design work.
      • Sharing options in penpot are teams based which is quite restrictive. They think you have a consistent team and only share with them vs. an open sharing re.
  • Talks at Gnome conf

• Prototyping talk to the community - share the topic
      • We could do so much more in desktop and we’ve over indexed on Mobile.
      • Deeper thoughts on the desktop
      • Doing more research on connectivity between devices
      • Proposing 3-4 things to research and encourage small teams to build prototypes and write papers.
      • CPU - saving phone usage for some things can help. The desktop should be fast, do the important stuff fats and the extra stuff can take more time. Re. raspberry pies trying to do so many things.
      • Lots of research to do with Assistive tech. Most of the latest gnome developments have hindered capacities of them.
      • OSS has some nostalgia for the old ways of doing tech. What could a computer be for creating things (in the 90s) now computers are for consumption.
      • If we really want the entire world to use more FOSS, we need to get beyond our current demographic.
      • I imagine you’re already thinking about it, but framing your thesis around a particular segment/demographic/role/persona might be crucial in making sure people in your audience don’t misinterpret. Otherwise your audience might start forming a counter-argument in their head as you’re speaking (eg, “my usual target audience is developers, and they’re not coding on mobile”).
      • And secondly, operating system/input-output/hardware advancement on desktop/laptop machines vs mobile devices is also driven by capitalism. If it isn’t profitable to improve the desktop experience (compared in priority at least to cellphones for example) then desktop/laptop UX improvements are going to be difficult to execute on, even if you do research/protoype/design a successful next-best-thing.
      • Literacy or how people learn via a support environment - connecting learning/reading in a different space.
      • https://www.sugarlabs.org/
      • Do people here know “Gnome developers suffer constant harassment”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOzTz6GQ64E
      • Ideas that come up with alternatives
      • https://ubuntu-touch.io/
      • Starburst window manager that uses Weyland
      • mentioned: Crossing-based interface - Wikipedia (Pen-based interaction)
      • CRDT → a way to collaborate gdoc like - atomise changes
      • see An Interactive Intro to CRDTs | jakelazaroff.com

Did some quick Open Source Design core updates re. Open Collective, Forum copy paste strikes and what new issues and contributions have been made lately!

2 Likes