Make our lives easier with conference track organising

I’m tired of writing emails every year from conference track organising for accepting and rejecting proposals.

I’ve put together some emails - for FOSDEM and also a generic template - for accepting and rejecting talk proposals.

They’re located in this repo.

My question is - where should they live? My thoughts are they should be in the events repo on Github.

What do other people think? @AnXh3L0, @jan, @belenbarrospena, @elioqoshi, @evalica, @dmichl, @bumbleblue, @amit.lzkpa, @Erioldoesdesign, @victoria-bondarchuk?

1 Like

Good stuff!

Since we plan to eventually move the repositories together, it’s best to put them directly in the main website repository:

There’s already the “presentations” folder with the general slides about the group.
For texts like these (and e.g. also incl the planning checklist for FOSDEM) you could create a folder “text-templates” or whatever is fitting? :slight_smile:

There’s already the “presentations” folder with the general slides about the group.
For texts like these (and e.g. also incl the planning checklist for FOSDEM) you could create a folder “text-templates” or whatever is fitting? :slight_smile:

In my brain (welcome to the weirdness! :laughing: ) it makes sense to but them with the events as they are related to event organising - something like SOMETHING/events/conference-admin/

1 Like

Oh well :slight_smile: the long debates about how to name or organize things :slight_smile:

Personally I like things to be grouped, logical and semantically placed, so I liked the ‘old’ organization of repositories.

Now, we talked about having all the website related entities in one place, so that someone wanting to build the website have them in one place (related to what Jan said). On the other hand, the mail templates and not actually ‘website’ material (although they could be).

IMO, both proposed locations are good, and since we are trying to be more ‘agile’, whoever is doing the ‘action/creation’ should do it the way they think best (doing it is way better than not doing it at all) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with @evalica. Organizational methods are so subjective but if it helps, I personally would look for it with other collateral relating to FOSDEM.

I’m still too new to this to have a useful opinion.
Generally speaking I’d agree with @evalica

I also have some organizational material from this year which I had on a wiki.
Devroom Proposal
Mailing Lists
Call for Proposal
Random Useful Links
Promotional Email Body Text

Most of it was copied from prior years.
If we think it’s useful I could add it to wherever we decide to store everything administrative.

1 Like

I would likely look for them within events BUT that’s as an ‘organiser’(?) Is there a chance that these being in the repo someone could like…use them and send out acceptance/rejection emails using this template? how do people receiving accept/reject know that it’s ‘official’ if anyone with repo access has access to the templates…

I know this is unlikely but bad actors can be a thing…

Whichever structure is best for the people organizing the tracks. :slight_smile:

However in the spirit of keeping things in one place and findable, we
should make sure the events repository gets merged into the main
repository before that – see

Yeah. That’s a great point.

I’d say the sender’s email should be the proof of authenticity.
If we operate any email ids through opensourcedesign.net that would be a good check.

1 Like