Looking for critque and feedback on "design hack packs" project

Hey guys!

Glad I found ya’ll.

My name is Aslan. I’m a design technologist with an interest in open source projects.

I’ve been interested in the problem of open source design for a couple of years now and started a project on github to start taking a crack at it.

This project has not had much legs till now when I started volunteering design services for a couple of non-profits here in Austin Texas. I took that as an opportunity to try to implement my design process in an “open source like” way, with git.

I’m still working out the bugs. Last night I ran into the the 1 GB limit of Github’s LFS storage. Didn’t know there even was a limit!

And yes I know that using git with binary files seems a bit silly but I wanted to just try this thing out and see what I could do.

Here’s an example of one of the specific toolkits I’m working on right now:

This is all still very much a work in progress. I’m learning by doing.

The focus of this toolkit is primarily just branding. It’s really just a collection of templates which will eventually be linked up programmatically using Photoshop Smart Objects.

I don’t think the actual implementation of design is very hard, and I think someone with very rudimentary art skills can get a lot of bang for buck if they have the right scaffolding to build off of.

That’s the intention of this project, to provide a scaffolding for projects to work off of.

If you have any feedback or suggestions please feel free to share.

Looks interesting! - Do you consider a workflow based on free software tools, too? I think Photoshop Smart Objects are not supported in any free software I know.

I wish I could give a fully FOSS solution but currently there are none. Design tools in FOSS are literally decades behind at this point. It’s kind of sad because when I was first introduced to GIMP in 2005 it was a pretty decent “Free Photoshop”. But GIMP hasn’t really improved that much since I was literally in middle school, while photoshop completely changed their game. I hate Adobe. It’s basically a monopoly and I think they should be broken up using ant-trust action, but they are also basically the only game in town (hence why they’re basically a monopoly).

Krita isn’t bad for painting though. That project seems to be actively trying to push it’s quality and it takes slightly different approaches to some things over PS that I think are actually superior choices in a lot of ways.

1 Like