Introductions (come in, say hi)

Hi there Aaron :wave: welcome welcome!

You can typically find the most recent topics in the Design Lounge area. Common topics are accessibility, Open Source Design at conferences and events regarding OSS and how to submit to those or creating talk/workshop content for them. But really everyone has different focuses for their work! so it can be a real melting pot of conversations at the monthly call or here on the forum - if you want to raise a topic at the monthly call or on this forum you’re very welcome to start a conversation :smiley:

1 Like

Hi there, I’m Otto and currently diving into User Research and UX in general.

I’m 22 years old, living near Berlin and sometimes even studying there :slight_smile:

My primary role in Free Software ecosystem was being a developer, maintainer and project manager until recently. Over time, I started to realize that good software is about more than good code. Me being frustrated by some “new technology trends” recently was the trigger to actually spend more time learning about UX design than doing code.

I’m the executive director of the non-profit Codeberg e.V. where we run a software development platform called Codeberg.org, powered by donations only. It is basically a liberated alternative to Microsoft GitHub.

The platform is powered by Forgejo, and I’m deeply involved with this project. I started doing two rounds of user research sessions for the project and currently try to apply my takeaways to improve the software itself. A quick summary can be found in the latest monthly report.

At Codeberg and Forgejo, we are shifting our focus to better design and improved user experience. Three of us attended FOSS Backstage Design earlier this year and already got to know some of you in person.

Looking forward to participating in this forum - and learning.

4 Likes

Hi Otto,

welcome to Open Source Design! We‘re glad to see you here!

Best,
Sven

1 Like

we are shifting our focus to better design and improved user experience.

Thats great! Any things you look into in particular? Any challenges? If you like, open a thread, tell us and get (if you want!) some ideas from the community!

Yes, I’ll probably create some threads about this-and-that soonish, after looking around a little.

2 Likes

Welcome! lovely to have you hear and excited to hear about the user research work and I’ll try to find some time to delve into your documents :smile:

If you’d like to be added to a regional team I can do so - we have a team for Berlin Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

No pressure though this is mostly so folks can see whom else is local to them in the open soruce design ecosystem.

Glad you enjoyed FOSS Backstage Design - I’m excited for it to hopefully happen again next year!

Hi all :wave: My name is Joseph and I’m a UX Designer based in Texas, USA. I’ve been doing UX since 2018 in startups, agency, in-house, and pro-bono community work. I believe in the principle of open source, and would love to contribute as a Designer. I function more like a generalist nowadays doing research (mostly exploratory user interviews and usability tests) along with doing deliverables, maintaining our design system, and pushing for UX strategy. I’ve mostly worked in smaller teams with low UX maturity.

I’m excited to meet others and learn more! Feel free to reach out to me if you’d like to chat! I can’t promise a job, but happy to help any way I can.

4 Likes

Welcome Joseph! We’d love to hear your experiences as a design in OSS - have you made contributions?

2 Likes

Hi Eriol! I’ve done a lot of pro bono tech work in the states, specifically more community oriented, and the closest I’ve contributed to open source was a project where we attempted to streamline the volunteer process. I contributed as a Project and Design Lead. If you’re curious here’s the documentation/design system: Getting Started | Voma. Here’s the Github: GitHub - code-312/Voma: Repo for frontend of Voma

I’ve long since left the project after we completed the MVP but it was a great project that we worked on for a couple of years.

2 Likes

Hi, everyone, My name is Jowho but you can call me Jo!, currently in London, UK.

I am a product designer currently working fulltime and I also mentor on the side. I have worked in an agency, freelance, and full-time.

As a way not to get stuck in a rut, I enjoy doing pro bono work once in a while. I am also looking for speaking opportunities since I believe I have a lot to give back. Looking forward to e meeting everyone. Give a shout if you want to talk as I am almost always open for conversation.

3 Likes

Hi there!
This is Tofus, design contributor at g0v Taiwan and UX designer at National Taiwan University. Also a econ student but decide to drop out this year to delve into the exploration in the world of open source design, nice to meet you all! (For more about me, pease check this out Linkedin post)

3 Likes

@Tofus @Mentieoja Welcome to you both :wave: if you’d like to be added to a regional Open Source Design team then I can add you to a city/country location on our github organisation.Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

I hope to see you both at a monthly call Open Source Design monthly call - Open Source Design we have one that’s in a CET friendly timezone and one that is in a CST (China Standard Time) and IST friendly time.

1 Like

Hello, everyone. My name is JC, and I’m a product designer living in Austin, TX. I found out about Open Source Design through a local volunteer organization called Open Austin. I’m interested in learning about open source projects and contributing my skills. I would appreciate being added to a regional team and GitHub organization. Nice to meet you all!

1 Like

Hi Eriol!

Thanks for the shout. Yes, I would love to be added to a regional team like you mentioned. Also, where do we get details for the next monthly call?

Here’s the deets: Open Source Design monthly call - Open Source Design

:)))))

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nathan, I’m French, and I’m currently doing a work-study Master’s program with a company in the aerospace sector, where I work as a UX Researcher & Designer. What I’m most passionate about is thinking through and designing attractive and ergonomic interfaces.

I’m also very drawn to open source projects, which motivated me to join this amazing community. I would be delighted to work alongside talented and passionate people from all over the world, to help enrich this wonderful community.

Thank you for welcoming me, and I look forward to collaborating with each of you!

4 Likes

Hey folks,
I’m Andrew, a design generalist for the past 20 years. I’m interested in ways to contribute to the open design community so thanks for the forum and looking forward to collaborating.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m Masturah. I’m a UX designer from Nigeria.

I’m here to learn, support, and grow with everyone and I’m here for the open source.
My GitHub username is Caramel16

2 Likes

Hello, everyone!

My name is Alonso, I’m from México. I’m an artist and designer, currently getting myself into UI/UX and basic front-end. Contributing to open source projects has always been in my interest, and I’m excited to learn, collaborate, and make contributions wherever I can.

A little bit about me: I’m passionate about plants and cities, and much of my work dialogues around them. I’m also a coffee and mezcal enthusiast, and I love exploring cities on foot or by bike.

Looking forward to being part of this community!

2 Likes

Hello @AlonsoZo, @Caramel16, @AndrewDavies, @Nathan.D

Great to have you here! Looking forward to your contributions and conversations. I’d be curious about your ideas on What do you wish OSD would enable you to do, and how can you enable others, if you like.