Monthly Showcase Mock Review

I came up with some mocks for the new landing page section as discussed with @Erioldoesdesign and in this thread. We should review these before we get started on building it.

This is how the web view would look like with 3 or 6 monthly designs to showcase

We can keep a maximum of 6 designs to display per month, adding more than that would crowd the landing in my opinion.

For smaller viewports,

Layout design ideas

Came up with a few possible layouts for displaying an image while experimenting with Bootstrap 4.

Let me know if there’s some stuff that needs changing!
CC: @core-group

4 Likes

Looks good for me!

Some remarks:

• For context: On the original thread there was already the remark that it might be problematic if getting featured is a (primarily) awarding and motivating people to get featured. I also think this should be avoided; Instead I hope to show the diversity of design, make people happy that their design is seen by more people and help newcomers to understand what open source design can be.
  • As on the original thread we might or might not want to show names
  • If we can guarantee a monthly update, “This month’s…” makes sense. Since monthly updates often fail to be done and given that I like that work is featured, what about “design work from the community” or so?
  • Do we already have some format/process to get the projects featured in a technological sense (manual markup change?)
2 Likes

That looks pretty cool!
Is that built on top of the existing website repo?

1 Like

For context: On the original thread there was already the remark that it might be problematic if getting featured is a (primarily) awarding and motivating people to get featured.

I talked about something related to this with @Erioldoesdesign during this month’s call. I’ll wait for July monthly call notes and their opinion to discuss this further.

As on the original thread we might or might not want to show names

I’m strongly for showing names because it will help out the person get more outreach (which is a plus for those doing work for gratitude) and that matters a lot as a designer imo.
Also, it’ll be cycled monthly so everyone can participate actively for it.

Since monthly updates often fail to be done and given that I like that work is featured, what about “design work from the community” or so?

My main concern with the monthly stuff is how we would choose to display work if there are more than 6 entries, will we decide who to keep or do we let the gallery extend till it includes all?

About the monthly “cycle”, right now I can’t think of a solution that would automate this. We could do it manually and that can work out but we could try out something else.

We could keep the process manual by the Designers, they could open a PR to have their work added to the gallery. After review from the admins or managers (not members), their work could replace the oldest design from the active 6 gallery, provided the work to be replaced has been on the showcase for a month at least, otherwise the PR will wait to be merged. This could go well with the “Latest design work from the community”.

This is just an idea that I think could work long term but open to improvements/suggestions.

Do we already have some format/process to get the projects featured in a technological sense (manual markup change?)

Manual markup change seems likely unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks!

Is that built on top of the existing website repo?

Not sure what you mean, I did base it to blend well with the existing website design though.

Nice work, and interesting discussions. I would definitively go for “Latest design work from the community” as even if the intention is to update monthly, with volunteer organisations like these it can’t be guaranteed. In this case I’d go for better safe than sorry.

Regarding the design itself: I like the second version, with the grey bar at the bottom. It gives a bit more prominence to the title & descr (and less to the author). I also like a short description, as it allows to showcase non-design works (like usability studies). It’ll be difficult though to write such real short, to-the-point description texts.
Another ‘concern’ I’d have is the vertical space. When it’d be embedded in the landing page redesign it’d make the page considerably longer. Maybe therefore I’d opt for one row with maybe four designs (or three, with horizontal scrolling).

And another thought: it’d be nice to have an ‘archive’ of previously featured designs.

Sorry for not making it clearer.
I meant to ask if the prototype you made is built on top of the jekyll website that I could pull down locally and look.

I meant to ask if the prototype you made is built on top of the jekyll website that I could pull down locally and look.

I don’t think it is, I think it’s a mock in some design software.

diversity of design, make people happy that their design is seen by more people and help newcomers to understand what open source design can be.
Huge + 1 to this @jdittrich

+1 to the choice to ‘hide names’ we could have an option where the name label, if empty simply says ‘An open-source design community member’. Some people might need privacy, they may have worked on a human rights project where if they are found via their name/affiliation to the project they could be in danger. So a choice to show name if desired, for the promo is best.

I think monthly might be tough considering we struggle to maintain monthly action points. I think we can aim to get to monthly updates but also just a ‘showcase’ or "Latest design work from the community” that isn’t time-stamped for now works well. Just to say, I would love to be in a place where this could be updated monthly but I just want to be aware of the workload there. It’s a big-time commitment to maintaining something like this showcase. You’d likely have to chase people for submissions and that can become time-consuming. (I did a project like this before and I spent more time chasing submissions than I did updating the website!)

I’m not sure re. tech format. I need to go back through the various repos and check on PR’s and some issues and see if anything could work/be adapted.

Regarding the design itself: I like the second version, with the grey bar at the bottom
Agreed @keunes , I like the grey bar version too!

Re. amount of projects, 3 is good if we want to be careful of vertical space and agreed on an ‘archive’ page for any showcases that are no longer in the row of 3 :slight_smile:

it’d be great to get some tech/implementation conversation happening about this. The core group has been tagged so I won’t tag them again but I’d love to hear from them when they get a chance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree with everything you’ve said, hopefully other members from the core responds soon.
However, I’ll open an issue regarding this on our repo to attract further discussion and someone who’ll be willing to carry out the implementation.

@keunes you said you were interested in working on this earlier, would you still like to take this up?

1 Like

So after talking with some other core members they clarified the ‘way open source design’ works around these kinds of projects.

the ‘core group’ doesn’t have ‘authority’ only PR approval powers. If a community member (like yourself Kai) has an idea (the monthly showcase) they can go ahead and create designs, upload here, gather feedback and if someone wants to implement/code it and submit a pull request with the changes they can go ahead. The core members really only act as a barrier to any malicious pr requests or posts/spam here. We don’t really have like ‘ownership’ of the website, it’s for the whole OSD community including you :slight_smile:

You can for sure wait for more feedback if you like, but you might be waiting a long time or not get it, the ‘core members’ are really just other members of the community that just happened to be the first ones here.

But as I said in the github issue #242 https://github.com/opensourcedesign/opensourcedesign.github.io/issues/242 I’m happy to grab Elio’s current designs and start making amends based off comments in the issue and also work in the monthly showcase work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, so that makes things easier, I can easily continue my plans of world domi… I mean improving the community haha. I’ll share some further ideas I have that I “semi-discussed” with Eriol during our monthly call soon.

As for the implementation of the mocks, I’ll open and assign the issue to @Erioldoesdesign and would be happy to help out if needed!

1 Like