Kickstarter for Akira, a FOSS UX design tool

Hi guys,
There’s a Kickstarter that was recently launched for Akira, an open-source Sketch-like UX design tool for Linux: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alecaddd/akira-the-linux-design-tool .

For me, this is a pretty important project, and that’s why I’m trying to promote it here. I used to be a UX design volunteer for a few FOSS projects and working with Inkscape, the tool of choice in these communities, was a pretty painful experience. I only realized just how painful that was when I got a part-time job working for a digital agency, where I started using Sketch. Its artboards, keyboard-based UI, and pixel-based coordinates (though you can specify decimals if you want to) were enough to win me over on day 1.

If you’ve never used Sketch, it may be hard to imagine the difference, but believe me that it has the potential to drastically improve your UX design workflow. And if you’re part of a UX design community, this has could bring more people in by lowering the contribution barriers.

Anyway, I’ve made my pitch and hope you guys will pitch in and/or help promote it. And, also, let me know what your thoughts are about it. :slight_smile:

P.S. Just to be clear, I’m not involved with the project in any way, I’m just a big fan of what they’re doing.

8 Likes

backed! thanks for the tip @mirek :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly, the kickstarter failed to reach its goal with about a third of the needed sum.

1 Like

They have a plan B, though: Use Liberapay and Patreon to get funding, develop in their free time until they get enough support to work on it fulltime.

Here are their crowdfunding pages:

With Liberapay, more money goes toward the project (it doesn’t take a cut of each donation, and that also means that Liberapay donations get taxed much, much less), so I recommend using that.

1 Like