Jobs - Improve LibreLingo's design

Role: 'Web design'

Skills:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://opensourcedesign.net/jobs/jobs/2021-01-01-improve-librelingos-design

Hi, can I get more details on this?

Seems you are looking for a design systems lead :thinking:

Is Libre Lingo trying to create a design system?

Hi, sure, what details are you interested in?

Hi, I wouldnā€™t talk about leads, or even very formal positions for now. There isnā€™t an organization behind LibreLingo (yet).

I am looking for someone who is interested and somewhat invested in this though.

You could call it a design system, but if you check out the app, youā€™ll see that itā€™s quite simple (for now) :slight_smile: At least from a design perspective anyway.

1 Like

So more of a product designer right? Can I have a link to the app?

@kantord Iā€™m interested in helping. Whatā€™s the best way to reach you?

1 Like

Hi @ayoolafelix and everyone who wants to get involved

Thank you for showing interest in LibreLingo!

Sorry if itā€™s not super easy to get started. This is currently a project that Iā€™m doing on evening and weekends beside my full time job, so sometimes Iā€™m slow to reply, and I have limited time for this due to my other obligations.

Working on LibreLingo will thus require a lot of your own initiative. If you want to get involved, the best way to start is by looking at the GitHub repository: GitHub - kantord/LibreLingo: šŸ¢ šŸŒŽ šŸ“š an experiment to create a community driven language-learning platform

There you can find links to the current app as well as an article about LibreLingo, and a link to an instant messaging platform where you can engage with more people interested in LibreLingo.

This thread might be one of the most relevant for you: Switch to a more gamy theme Ā· Issue #618 Ā· kantord/LibreLingo Ā· GitHub

From what I can deduce, you need a product designer, is that right? If yes, how do we begin, note that Iā€™m not a pro, but Iā€™m willing to build this with you if youā€™ll be patient enough.

Hi there! stepping in to help out on this. It does seem like Libre Lingo want a good ā€˜generalist designerā€™ for their app/digital product so I think youā€™re right in that they need a product designer.

If I was taking on this project (Iā€™m a 10+ years product designer haha) I would likely start with an Interface inventory project and a heuristic analysis of the current app: https://librelingo.app/

Then you can explore competitor UI/UX research (into apps like Duolingo and Memerise etc.) and develop some UI concerts.

But those are just suggestions on how you could start this :smiley:

Thatā€™s intresting! Thanks for saying that, I would love to so that though I donā€™t know how to share my contributions with the team.

Ah I see! how familiar are you with adding issues on github?

What I would recommend is adding an issue here: Issues Ā· kantord/LibreLingo Ā· GitHub

and adding a ā€˜designā€™ label to it. There you can describe what you will work on improving for this tool.

If youā€™d like some github help I can offer a 30-60 min call via a video service to help you out :slight_smile:

This is really helpful, I will like to take you up on the offer of the call, could you send me an invite? Iā€™ll work on adding the issue to the github.

1 Like

Iā€™ll direct message you :smiley:

Hello! has this position been filled yet?

I donā€™t think so, myself and @ayoolafelix are having a call about how to approach the improvements but I certainly think itā€™ll be more than one designers worth of work :smiley:

I think if you both wanted to work together and collaborate then it would be good but thatā€™s your choice. Iā€™m sure you can contribute to Libre Lingo solo too

Hello! Need an extra helping hand on this project?

@ElenaEC @Swetha1 This job is more about finding work via their repo and self-organising I think - worth reaching out to the project via creating an issue and/or emailing them directly :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Eriol for the info!

1 Like