Introductions (come in, say hi)

Hi everyone :wave:
I am Nithin David from Kerala, (a southern state in India). I’m part of an open source project https://github.com/chatwoot/chatwoot, contributing to design (and development as I have been a developer all my life).
I’m happy to find this community. I’m hoping to learn more from you all about designing, making design in open source space more accessible for designers.
My GitHub profile id :point_right: @nithindavid

5 Likes

Hi everyone, I hope you’re well! My name is Elvira and I’m based in Manchester, UK. At the moment I am trying to break into the UX/UI industry and this is what brought to open source. I’m open to finding new opportunities and to start working on projects to build my portfolio.

My interests are reading, yoga and travelling! nice to meet you all!!

5 Likes

Hi there @giuliaguizzardi @nithin and @elviii welcome to open source design! :smiley:

@nithin would you like me to add you to our github team for India? We also have teams for a few Indian cities: https://github.com/orgs/opensourcedesign/teams?query=india

@elviii and @giuliaguizzardi I can add you to teams for Berlin & UK if you have github accounts :bouquet:

3 Likes

@Erioldoesdesign Sure :slight_smile: Thanks

Hello from Neuchâtel, Switzerland :switzerland:! I am a Jenkins community maintainer, governance board member and the acting events officer. I am not a mother of dragons in Jenkins, but I am definitely a father of many bugs… One of my roles there is managing social media and promoting contributions, hence I create a lot of open graphs and artwork for the project (our social media opengraphs). I am a Continuous Delivery Foundation community ambassador and a TOC member elect. I contribute to a few other projects and organizations including the Inclusive Naming Initiative and Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation (FOSSi). During my working time I am a Principal Engineer in the CloudBees Community Team (aka OSPO). I also have a PhD degree in design… hardware design :smiley:

Why am I here? I joined Open Source Design, because I want to study from the community and establish connections between the Jenkins community and the Continuous Delivery Foundation. I cordially believe that design is a very important to any open source projects. All kinds of design apply: user interfaces look&feel, user experience, accessibility, artwork, etc. In the Jenkins community we have started the User Experience Special Interest Group to facilitate work on improving Jenkins UI/UX. We know that Jenkins is perceived as dated and difficult to use, and we want to change it. There is a lot of Jenkins Artwork contributed by professional designers and amateurs like me. I used to join the Open Source Design at FOSDEM, and I think it is a great community. I’d like to contribute more to it.

How can I help? I have not joined just to study, I also want to contribute to the Open Source Design community. I have very limited time, but I would be happy to share my experiences. As an automation engineer, event organizer, and open source advocate, I can help with the following:

• Community Automation: Jenkins, GitHub Actions, and various developer tooling
  • Outreach and mentorship programs: Hacktoberfest, GSoC, GSoD, LFX Mentorship, etc.
  • Social media: Can help with creating and promoting contacts
  • Sharing contacts with communities and foundations. Happy to do introductions
  • Project ideas. We have a lot of artwork ideas in Jenkins. Will be happy to post them on the OpenSource Design portal: Jobs - Jobs

Looking forward to working with all of you!

3 Likes

Awesome to see you here Oleg :smiley: you’re very welcome both here and in the community calls we’ve had.

I would really recommend you start a thread about the User Experience Special Interest Group and possibly if you’re interested (and other members of the community agree!) you could consider writing a short article or blog post for our articles section: Articles - Open Source Design plenty of what you’ve written here would be really interesting to expand on :bouquet:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a UI/UX Designer still in my early year of my career. I’m new to open source and would really like to learn and understand better what it’s all about and how to navigate my journey as an open source design advocate.

3 Likes

Welcome! you can ask questions in this forum by starting a new topic with your question or feel free to come along to our monthly community call to chat :smiley:

1 Like

Hello, I’m Hayavadhan from Chennai, India. I’m a product designer. I love doing usability research, designing intuitive interfaces. I had always wanted to use my skills to contribute to open source projects.
I started my career using software like inkscape and gimp. I want to give back to the community in some way.

3 Likes

Welcome! :smiley: if you have a github account and would like to be added to our regional teams please let me know your username and I can add you. Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

Please ensure you check out the Jobs - Jobs page for projects looking for contributions :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, my name is Ihor, I am a front-end developer.
My github account @Arhell

I love open source, I am a member of many teams.
Mostly I am adjusting the interface and more recently accessibility.

In general, I want to improve user interfaces to make it convenient for people to use the site, application, etc.

Would like to join the team, help develop the organization’s website, fix bugs, and more.

Thank you for your attention.
If you have any questions, you can write to the mail.

3 Likes

Hello everyone :wave:,

I’m Olivier engineer from Thailand, since I specialized myself into API I naturally got interested by DX (developer experience).Yes… I learn through the hard way that even a tech tool needs a great user experience to get adoption.

I spent my free time to work on Open Source project, mostly as main maintainer of RestQA. I also share my skill with anyone through Open Pair programming.

I discovered the community while is was searching on how to engage designer on my open source project :grin:. Then what a surprise :heart_eyes:, plenty of ressources available!

I’m happy to join the community, i hope i will be able to contribute, feel free to reach me out for any info or contribution :wink:.

2 Likes

Welcome! :smiley: you should find plenty of designers here passionate about OSS and contributing! If you’d like to be added to a team on our repo please let me know and I can add you to a new Thailand team if you’d like? Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

1 Like

Welcome! if you want to be added on to our github team which is by country then I can add you (but if you are not okay or comfortable with us knowing your country no worries!) :smiley:

Everything is in order, I am from Ukraine, Kiev, this information is also indicated in my github profile.
Thanks.

1 Like

Sure that would be great.
I would be delighted to join the Thailand team :innocent:.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m Otoki a ui/ux designer from Nigeria. Curiosity got me here. Looking making my impact in the open source community.

4 Likes

Hi Otoki, great to have you with us!

Hello everyone, I’m Chidubem, a designer from Nigeria. Looking forward collaborate and improve here.

4 Likes

Hi there @Otoki and @Chidoree welcome! Would you like to be added to the Nigeria Open source design github team? If you let me know your github username I can add you :smiley:

1 Like