Continuing conversations about fellowships/Internships in open Source Design

Hey folks,

Following on from our conversations about Let's spend some money! 🤑️ we ran a Poll from July 2021 to September 9th 2021 and the results were captured here: **POLL CLOSED 9th of September 2021** - How to spend OSD's money! - #3 by Erioldoesdesign

Again to recap we had 35 responses and the leading choice to 'spend our time, attention and money as a community was: ‘Open Source Design internship program. Collaborate with Outreachy or a similar OSS internship program to fund an ‘OSS Design’ specific program’ with 18 votes.

What I’d like this forum post to do is capture thoughts about what an Open Source Design internship program could look like so here are a few guiding questions if you want to use them.

1. What would you want to get out of an Open Source Design internship/fellow program?

2. What would you be willing to give to a Open Source Design internship/fellow program? (e.g. X hours per month, mentoring, office space, review applications, review OSS projects, plan the design work for the intern/fellow etc.)

3. How would you like the program to gather OSS projects that could benefit from the fellowship/internship?

4. Is there a kind of Open Source Design we want to prioritise?

5. Should we spend some of our Open Collective funds on this and if yes, how much?

6. How long should a Open Source Design internship/fellow program last?

7. Could the Open Source Design internship/fellow program include participating in OSD’s community as part of the project? e.g. a FOSDEM talk, articles for the OSD website? and what is appropriate to ask?

There’s lots more we can discuss but hopefully, these start the conversation :smiley:

Hi @Erioldoesdesign I’m Otoki a UI designer and I’m very new to OpenSource.

As a beginner, what I would like to get out of an open source internship is to be well equipped to be able to contribute to projects, be grounded on the technical aspect of git & GitHub.

I also think we could reach out to big companies in the tech community to get involve in the internship program, showing them the reason why they should invest in design and OpenSource Design as the bigger picture.

Lastly, (I apologize for suggesting a lot…lol) I think the internship should last for 2-3 months.

That’s all for now
Thanks

2 Likes