Continuing conversations about fellowships/Internships in open Source Design

Hey folks - casting ‘revive’ on this thread as I managed to have another chat with Sage over at Outreachy.

So I think it’s feasible to do the 1 designer + 1 developer on a project together as an internship if we could fund the designer plus a smaller portion of the developer. This part we can clarify with Outreachy and the projects that are interested in the designer + developer combo.

I want to honor that the community voted that this is what we want to spend our open collective funds on and move us forward if we can to testing this idea. I know that $6k+ is still a significant chunk of our funds but i think that outreachy’s support will overall make a lot of the logistics smoother. I’m also asking/looking into what of my work hours over at Simply Secure could be offered in support of helping co-ordinate this effort that can then be combo’d with my volunteer hours.

I would love to put together a small team of OSS designers here (and others if you wanna spread the word) that can really make this happen to get the proof of concept for design + developer internships in OSS a reality.

1 Like

Did you (or anyone else) try to speak to orgs to get the developer funded from another source than our funds?

Hi Hadi! If you’re interested in an internship with Quansight (a company focused on open source Python libraries), we currently do not have any design internship available with an open source project. I will update this thread if we do, Quansight’s internship season is usually middle of the year.

1 Like

I think this internship discussion was brought up a few OSD community calls ago, in the June OSD call. There was mentions of working on a document about developing these possible internships in more detail, but I haven’t talked about internships since.

I’ve spoken briefly in the September OSD call about the possibility of funding open source design with grants or companies in the Scientific Python space, such as with the NumFOCUS Small Development Grant. NumFOCUS provides funding and support for Sponsored Projects, such as NumPy, SciPy, pandas, etc. In this framework, there are specific projects we could connect to.

I can’t guarantee anything but there is interest, based on my comics, so there’s interest for similar work.