New York, NY, USA

Hey,

Just a bottle in the ocean, if any body catches it. I’d be up to create a regular meetup around Open Source Design in New York. Ping me here if you’re interested.

Julien

4 Likes

Hey!

I’m in NYC and would totally be up for co-creating this with you! Depending on scale, I can offer up my officespace to host.

I’m @iamjessklein on twitter

1 Like

Hey @iamjessklein

Nice to meet you. Would be great to start this with you. Maybe we should set up a meeting and discuss how we want to set this up. I’ll send you a private message to set that up.

Julien

1 Like

For those following this thread, we had a meeting this week @iamjessklein and I about how to set up the meetup in NYC. We already have 2 possible venues, one that can host 15-20 people and the other one could go up to a 100 if necessary.

We were thinking of setting up a call for speakers to see who would like to present something and go from there. So please forward the invitation to anyone in the city or visiting the city that would like to present their open source design stuff.

As for communication within the organization team, we are still planning to keep this in the open on this forum for now. Maybe we’ll ask admins to create a sub-category, of Local meetups, called NYC to keep our messages together. But we’ll see how it grows.

1 Like

Hello there! I am in NYC and I would have interest in participating in such meet-up. I am not a designer, but I have been working with UX for a long time (15yrs) as well as free software :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello @isa, great to hear. If you’d like to participate in the organization of the event, send me your email via PM so we can talk this further. Looking forward to meet you.

Hi Julien,
I messaged on twitter that I’d like to attend this meet up and meet everyone. Count me in, I look forward to meeting everyone!

2 Likes

Hello @Eadberht
Welcome here. With @iamjessklein we are in the process of defining our intentions with this meetup. If you want to join in this process, let me know of your email in DM and I’ll include you in our conversations.

1 Like

I’d like to join the meet up :slight_smile:

@xuv @iamjessklein also feel free to have that discussion here in the open so other interested people can join in. :slight_smile: It’s how we usually do everything in Open Source Design because it’s very inclusive.

For example, @dmichl asked how we run the Berlin meetup and here’s some pointers: Berlin, Germany

In any case let us know when it’s starting so we can tweet it out and get open source designers to join. :slight_smile:

Thanks @jan for the tips. It took us a little while to organize. But here is our official invitation:

Dina (@dmichl), Jessica (@iamjessklein) and Julien (@xuv) are calling Open Source Design enthusiasts living in NYC and around to join us for our first meetup. This will be an introduction meeting and we want to use it to define the direction and themes we want to explore in the future with this gathering.

The meetup will take place in ThoughtWorks offices, 99 Madison Avenue on Wednesday 27th of September, from 6.30pm to 8.30pm. Please announce yourself beforehand by leaving a comment in this thread.

See you there.

2 Likes

Great to hear! :rocket: Would be cool if you can also add that event to our events page at http://opensourcedesign.net/events/ – simply copy one of the event posts in https://github.com/opensourcedesign/events/tree/gh-pages/_posts and replace the filename and details. :slight_smile:

Also tweeted about it from out @opensrcdesign account, please retweet and like! https://twitter.com/opensrcdesign/status/911157698061840384

1 Like

Just made a PR on the events repository :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. I’m a web designer and developer and I contribute to an open source project and I host my own Meetup related closely to open source software. I’m hoping to make it to the Meetup tomorrow.

Great. See you tomorrow then.

I’d like to join as well. See you on Weds @ Thought Works.

1 Like

Looking forward to attending tonight.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m not going to make it after all. Will try the next one!

Was great to meet folks there last week :slight_smile:

What are the follow-up action items? :slight_smile:

Hey all.

We’re preparing a little blogpost or write up of what was discussed. But we can already announce the following meetup: Nov 9th. Same place. More info will be posted soon.

Julien

2 Likes