July monthly meetings experiment!

Hey everyone! I thought I’d start a new topic with the July monthly meetings schedule in case the monthly call thread has become one that people outside core don’t check anymore.

So we’re trialling having multiple timezone meetings across this week and next with the same agenda (agenda is tbc)

the times are:

July Wednesday 1st - CEST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00 (our regular time)

July Thursday 2nd - EDT ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00

July Friday 3rd - PDT ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00

July Saturday 4th - CEST ‘daytime friendly time’ 13.00

July Sunday 5th - Day off or a request a time day.

July Monday 6th - JST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00

July Tuesday 7th - IST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00

Calendar viewable here:
https://cloud.nextcloud.com/index.php/apps/calendar/p/MIFAFLFJADIVX63I/dayGridMonth/now

and meeting via this video call link: https://meet.jit.si/opensourcedesign

I’ll be on all these calls (as the person who suggested multiple timezone friendly meetings!) so lets see what happens :smiley:

2 Likes

OSD July suggested agenda

  1. How to involve existing members in more sustainable support for OSD
  2. How to gather/encourage more designers to join
  3. Any website movements/improvements/PR’s that need reviewing?
    3a. The suggestion from a member for a ‘showcase’ area of OSD website
  4. Some updates from UXBOX to share with the community.
  5. OSD Summit conversations and any other conference news
  6. Any other jobs/projects we want to discuss? Sustain OSS badges?
  7. AOB (Any other business)

I was thinking of starting an etherpad or an .md on our github or something for notes as well as posting them in this forum but that might be extra duplication that we need to maintain so happy to keep posting here in discourse

1 Like

Thank you for facilitating these, @Erioldoesdesign :raised_hands:

1 Like

x-posting the ‘raw’ notes here too:

Open Source Design July Monthly call #1

19.00 CEST

Agenda:

  • How to involve existing members in more sustainable support for OSD
  • How to gather/encourage more designers/people to join
  • Getting more students in involved opportunities for marketing and outreach

  • Reaching out to university’s - Need guidance and effort and support

  • Need to think about marketing opportunities

  • T-shirts and shirts and swag

  • Competition monthly where the participants get swag at the end.

  • Students like to brag about it - twitter

  • Make it sustainable by students feeding into the competition

- AP: Eriol to start a forum thread for this idea

  • Software freedom conservancy - https://sfconservancy.org/projects/ financials and governance etc. support with. Get consulting & legal expertise. Scaling governance.

  • The Open Source Summit legacy talk.

  • Sustain 2021 is good deadline

  • Conferences were a go to for new members/energising existing member which is hard right now.

  • Monthly meeting agendas help people to know whether they want to attend.

  • Some people after 5-6 years are tired and have other things to do so they are moving away from things

  • No documented levels in group we can give certain privileges to people.

  • Biggest concern about core group is credentials

  • Vouch for/sponsor

  • Meet in real life

    • Decisions
  • If people want to do something they should do it. If something is ‘using our name’ it should be known and approved.

  • The monthly calls are not just core team calls they are open and community calls.

  • We only have control via a PR review.

  • GSoC/Outreachy helps recruit new OSS interests

  • Projects to apply to to contribute to “Where do I contribute to?’

  • How designers contribute to OSS? where is the list? could we provide some generic rules for contributing.

  • Community call vs. Core team meetings

  • Community can be on IRC, participate and learn

  • We have an IRC channel, for two or three years didn’t really work.

  • Need to work on discoverability of info.

  • Coders are need

  • Amit & Saptak are happy to help code

  • A& S & E are looking to help clean up GitHub

  • Any website movements/improvements/PR’s that need reviewing?
    3a. The suggestion from a member for a ‘showcase’ area of OSD website

  • Some movement is happening here which is nice

  • Design education on P&S

  • Some updates from UXBOX to share with the community.
  • Gave an update about Uxbox

  • Adobe XD going fully open source

  • OSD Summit conversations and any other conference news
  • Talks but also tutorial how I do this stuff in an OSD way

  • Open Source Diversity summit is whispers of - Can we co-locate these two conferences?

  • Organisation of this is the hard part!

  • Any other jobs/projects we want to discuss? Sustain OSS badges?
  • AP: Add it as a job on OSD jobs posting via etherpad for collaboration & add on to the Sustain OSS discourse forum. https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/sustainoss-badges-notes

    • Ideal structure for feedback process:
    • Design phase 1 - 2-4 weeks, ‘What defines good behaviour for badges’ & UX interviews with the Sustain community.
    • Phases 2 - Design sample: 2- 4 weeks of visuals/graphics,
    • Phase 3 - ‘Documentation and proposal to Sustain OSS’ ‘How do they want to carry on with this?’
    • Can this tie into the Sustain OSS summit in 2021 and also into the Sustaining design & UX in OSS.
  • AOB (Any other business)

  • We talked about fossresponders project

  • Hourly estimates on the work for the jobs page

  • Onboarding for submitting job how to post a job that designers will want to work on! < could be an article.

  • We talked about how to get validation from peers and the wider design network

00.00 BST - Friday 3rd

Stayed until 00.20 no shows

03.00 BST - Saturday 4th

Stayed until 00.20 no shows

11.00 BST - Monday 6th July

Stayed until 00.20 no shows

14.30 BST - Tuesday 7th July

1 attendee

Wednesday 8th

extra meeting at 4pm with 4 attendees

1 Like