Introductions (come in, say hi)

Hi everyone,

I’m Peace Ojemeh(call me Perrie!) from Nigeria. I am an open source designer, I volunteer at Sugar Labs. I am also a founding member of Open Source Community Africa - a diverse community of open source lovers, collaborating on different projects to make a difference across Africa.

I’m here at OSD forum because I want to be part of an open source design community to relate with designers who do things around open Source

I’m glad to me here!

4 Likes

Hey everyone!

My name is Inês, i’m 23 years old and i’m a product designer from Portugal (Braga) working at SVHealth.

I’m here because I’d really like to contribute to open source projects, learn new things, share knowledge, and meet the community. Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am Amit. I am a computational designer working in New York.
I work with buildings and structures and engineering. I’ve worked on a platform VR platform for architects and enjoy working on creative projects.
Looking forward to exploring on how I can get involved with OS design!

4 Likes

Hi all,

I’m a Frontend Dev for a small company in Rugby, UK. I’m playing with both OSS and proprietary code and currently we are involved in an interesting project that should bring the OSS more mainstream, especially to the deciding factors in public government. The project is PublicCode Directory/ and is currently in its first iteration (sponsored by OpenUK, Public Code, FSFE and OpusVL.

I’m here to help get the word spread out, help out the community and do my part in getting OSS more mainstream and learn

4 Likes

Hi. I am a full stack dev who is into contributing open source modules for UI. I would love to learn a lot from you people and get to know stuff.

3 Likes

Hey there, Rajat Patel here from India.
So I had this idea around two years ago(when I started my career on design) that a lot of the open source tools are not as good looking as their paid counterparts, which results in less adoption of those tools, less contributors interests in them eventually resulting in less innovations on them.
I tried searching for what I could do but could not find much. Two years later, here I am extremely happy to find that there are other people who interested in the same which makes me extremely excited.

Also I am a product designer here in Delhi, India working on products mainly in the education and data management domain but I am really open to contribute in anyway I can. Let’s pace up guys! A lot is to be done.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,
I am Stella. I am a freelance designer working in Taipei now.
I have 4 years of experience in security, hotel, and institute start-up and focus on UX, UI design, including user research, interview, design planning… etc.
Looking forward to exploring and creating more design projects. : )

2 Likes

Hello, I am a student.I am very interested in programming.I’m glad I can join the organization.

3 Likes

hi @stepfencurryxiao, @rajatpatel2113, @zucci
Nice to have you with us at opensourcedesign! Have a look at existing posts to get to know what other members have taken interest in in the past and feel free to bring in new topics. If you are interested in web development tasks have a look at our issue tracker.

Hello! I’m Toeii (@Toeii Con Github)

I am a mobile project developer. I want to learn interactive design here. I’m glad to be here.

2 Likes

Hi @toeii,
Great to have you with us! Have a look at past posts and possibly at the job board to see what we do. Learning interactive design can be a bit difficult in open source since the fields have different traditions – but have a look and decide for yourself if it suits your learning needs (or come for the learning design and stay for something else!)

Hi everyone,

I’m Livio, a freelance illustrator and teacher using only FLOSS (mainly Krita and Inkscape). My website is www.liviofania.com

ps: I’m proud to have one of your stickers on my laptop (thanks to the person who brought them in LGM 2019).

Cheers :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome @fanialivio

Glad you grabbed one of the stickers we left at LGM. @ei8fdb and I were there and had a blast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love your work, Livio! Welcome!

1 Like

Thanks! Actually, it’s curious, my talk was just after yours so I was very focused :slight_smile:

Aha! Now I know who you are. I saw your presentation! :slight_smile:

Sorry: I am just terrible with names :confused:

Hi everyone,

I’m an interaction design student living in Nantes, France.
I am an open-source lover since my parents let me approach a screen, and now I learning UX/UI and interaction design, I want to contribute with my modest means in this community.
I had this “revelation” after I was enrolled in Processing community thanks to the passion of one of my professors, and mainly my two experiences of leading workshops to initiate to this programming language.

I hope my efforts trying to convince my classmates that they should take a attentive look to open-source will pay one day and I could see them here.

5 Likes

Hey!

I saw a presentation yesterday at City, University of London, by Bernard & Belen (thanks for taking the time to come and talk by the way!), and thought I’d head over here to check it out.

I’m Bekki, and I am a Design Researcher with the BBC, previously worked at GDS, on the GOV.UK Design System, so I’ve got some experience with the open source contribution world. Also had 7+ years experience in front-end development, so pretty well rounded!

Hoping to find some opportunities to flex my information architecture and interaction design muscles, and maybe spread some UCD practices around the FOSS world :world_map:

3 Likes

Hi @BekkiDoes

Thanks for coming to our presentation at City, and for joining us in the forum! Great to have more people based in London around.

As we mentioned briefly in the presentation, if you are in search of a project wanting design, you can head to the jobs board. Many of the requests are graphic design oriented, but there are other types of needs as well, so don’t despair! :wink:

If you would like to get more involved in the group, some of us will be going to ApacheCon Europe later in the year, and in September we’ll start preparations for FOSDEM.

You (and everybody else who has introduced themselves here) are most welcome to get involved. We’ll be aiming to have a day of sessions about design once more, plus a project stand and a design clinic. It’ll be busy! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @bekkiDoes a little bit late, but thanks fo coming to our talk. And you’re very welcome here!

We hope you find some interesting projects to contribute to.

1 Like