Introductions (come in, say hi)

Topics are very broad, anything related to software or product design, ux research, open design, open source culture …if we have too many submissions -community vote on it. If you have any doubts about your topic, ask community on the forum or github or on our monthly call or at twitter!

1 Like

Thanks :wink: Almost there (so little time to write articles lately!)

1 Like

Hi All -

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi. My name is Sam and I am a frontend dev with a background in print design and illustration. I got involved with Open Source Design at the invitation of @jan after working on a new mascot illustration for Open Farm a while back.

5 Likes

Hi all

I am a student with the Open University, and am currently studying for an Open Degree where I plan to focus on computing and economics.

I use a lot of open source software and have a keen interest in programming and design. I am building up my programming skills and would like to contribute to open source in the future. I would be interested in contributing on both the design and programming sides, and am excited to join this community!

Dominic

3 Likes

@simonv3 It’s finally posted here: https://ponnuki.net/2017/11/open-source-graphic-web-design-studio-years/

Welcome @stephen (and those others who have posted on this thread). I removed Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator entirely from my workflow a couple years ago, and I’ve been getting along great. Other applications I put to work frequently in the process of doing web design are Krita, Darktable, and DisplayCAL. I find myself using Blender a lot for content creation as well. The prior post by @ponnuki is a great resource.

You may be familiar with all of these already, so pardon me for sharing if so. I’m literally working on some website layouts this very moment in Inkscape. It’s a rockstar.

Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Nice never heard of DisplayCAL - seems like a good tool!

I have to say that I’ve been quite lucky with very sub-quality monitor that emulated really well what I get from my local print shop, or what I print on my Canon Pixma Pro-100, so I never had to calibrate much. It’s almost boring how the color renders almost identically from my screen to my printer.

Hi everyone,

My name is James and I want to be a professional front-end web developer. I’ve been building websites as a hobby for almost 15 years now but most have been for personal projects. For the last 12 years I’ve been working in the mining industry (not in a development role) dreaming of doing web development full time.

I’d like to start my own web development business and use open source tools to do it. (Or work for a company that uses open source tools.) I work full time so I’m trying to learn new coding skills and start my business in my spare time. Right now I’m learning Javascript through freeCodeCamp. I’m not a graphic designer but I have been using Photoshop for long time and have recently begun converting to Gimp and Inkscape. I’m a long time Linux user but because of my past need for Photoshop I’ve had to use Windows as my daily driver. With my conversion to open source I’m hoping to be able to use Linux full time.

Outside of web development I love music. I’m a life long metal fan and I play bass guitar. I also love craft beer.

I look forward to getting more involved in the open source community and even contribute where I can.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is Anxhelo and I’m 20 years old. I work as a designer at Ura Design, along with other members here (@elioqoshi @mariana etc.) and also a junior frontend designer.

I use only FOSS such as GIMP, Krita, Blender, Inkscape. Photoshop is a bit hard to get away from but I think I’m doing progress.

Outside of the designer’s life I enjoy music (electronic, dubstep, chillstep, deep house and more) and cycling.

I look forward to meeting many of you at FOSDEM this year and contribute wherever I can in the big OSD family.

8 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Mariana, I’m 22 years old and I come from Albania. I study Information & Communication Technology at the University of Tirana. Currently, I am part of Ura Design.

I’m a huge fan of open source technologies. Particularly, I am a Fedora ambassador and a Wikimedia contributor. For the past two years I am a member of Open Labs Hackerspace. The place where all open source lovers come together in Tirana.

Mariana

8 Likes

Hey there! I’m @twistylord !
I’m a student who is currently in his sophomore year and aspire to be a designer who will make a positive impact in the world someday. I joined OSD to explore and learn by helping contribute in real-world projects with real impact. I study at the Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati. Located in the north of India, nestled in hills :slight_smile:
[I don’t know how relevant this is, but in case you’re wondering why the weird name, most of my earlier internet avatars were twistythread668 (thanks to xbox live). Anyways, I also like starlord a lot, but obviously that wasn’t available. So! ]

5 Likes

Bonjour,

I’m Loïc Dachary, Free Software hacktivist and developer based in Paris, France. I discovered OSD at FOSDEM a few weeks ago and it was a revelation. @belenbarrospena explained what it was about and since then I kept learning about UX and user centric development.

I volunteer full time writing code for SecureDrop, the whistleblower submission system that media organizations can use to securely accept documents from and communicate with anonymous sources. I feel privileged to work with the talented people who developed SecureDrop over the years and grateful they were so welcoming when I proposed to contribute mid-2017.

About a week ago, under the impulse of @ei8fdb we created the SecureDrop UX team (also including @saptaks, @kingu, @toast) and opened a dedicated forum category to discuss and improve the user experience. I feel this is the beginning of a beautiful story and very excited about what is to come.

Loic

8 Likes

Welcome Loïc! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m David and I love free software. I’m also into filmmaking, Graphics Design, Photography, CG (…) and I always look for ways to do it the open source way. I’m trying to gain some experience, so I’m very open for any open tasks and challenges! I’m glad this forum exists and I look forward to lurking around here in the future :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey everyone!

My name is @justin. I’m the Design Lead at Ushahidi where I work on our open source election monitoring and crisis response platform, as well as TenFour, an emergency check-in product for field staff. I wear lots of designerly hats, but I spend most of my time working on interaction design and user experience.

I’m based in the Canadian far north near Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.

I’m at RightsCon in Toronto right now and OSD has come up a few times in conversation. Given that I design OSS full-time, I thought I should get involved!

When I’m not designing, I spend a lot of time reading, travelling, exploring the backcountry, and touring around on my bike.

Looking forward to working with you all.

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is Tim, I’m the lead UX designer at Yoast :wave: We are an open source SEO company from the Netherlands, working in the WordPress community (also an open source project). We came into contact with OSD when our CTO came back from FOSDEM enthusiastically, and it sparked some ideas for creating a design language for our work. We’ve been brainstorming ways to open-source our design process here, and we already contribute to the design of WordPress itself. And now we’re hoping to link up with the OSD community to expand our understanding of open design, and see how we can help out!

In my off hours I’m an illustrator and game developer, you can see my work at https://timhengeveld.com.

6 Likes

Hi Tim and welcome! I hope you enjoy the discussions here and feel free to get involved in whatever capacity you like, there is no hierarchy here :slight_smile:

Hi @hedgefield great to see you. You’re very welcome!

Like we mentioned on the call with you it’d be great to hear about how you “use or do” Open Source in relation to your work.

You’re very welcome and we hope to see you somewhere soon!

Hi Justin,

You’re very welcome! I know David (in Ireland) who works for Ushahidi and met him and another Irish guy who lives in Canada at IFF this year.

They mentioned a very interesting piece of participatory design work Ushahidi did…maybe last year? I couldn’t find information on what it was exactly.

Any ideas?