Introductions (come in, say hi)

Hi everyone, George here. Mike Nolan said his designer friends hang around here, so I decided to pop in as well. I’m a UX student, and hoping to get started with OSS.

2 Likes

Welcome @frankiefab100 and @syntacticgeorge :smiley: happy to have you here!

We have our regular monthly community call this week on Wednesday at 18.00 UK time:

1 Like

Hi everyone! I’m Daniel Joseph, a UI/UX designer

2 Likes

Definitely going to attend!

2 Likes

I would like to be added to the team on GitHub also

1 Like
1 Like

Hi all. My name is Francisco.
I am designer working in Product and Service Design fields. I am part of Creative Commons staff and very happy to found this place to share with an open source community.

Greetings from Chile.

4 Likes

Hi,
My name is Harsimran. I live in Vancouver, Canada. I am excited to part of the opensourcedesign community. I am not a designer but I am glad to meet everyone here. I am here to learn about design and seek guidance on a new project that I started with a few friends. We are trying to build a cross platform app at https://github.com/bigpanther/shipanther. Any feedback/contributions are welcome.

4 Likes

Hi all.

My name is Vasilis and I am a UX/ UI Designer and I live in Greece. Initially, I did not know that there is such an Open Source Community related to design field. I found it by accident in a slack community.

From my perspective, contributing to open source projects is fun and gives me personal satisfaction and on the other hand, helps to improve it based on real-world experience and proven working solutions.

I am very happy to found this place. Happy Contributing!

3 Likes

Hi @fcovera,
Hi @harsimranmaan,
Hi @vbaimas,

great to have you here with us!
If you look for possible projects to contribute to, check out the jobs section on the Opensourcedesign website. If you need help with a specific project, you can also post jobs there. If you do, it helps to have a specific tasks (so not “general feedback” or so).

To get a feeling of what people talked about here in the past, check out the existing posts, e.g. in the design category. And we are happy if you contribute to the conversations or start your own threads.

Last but not least: Have a look at the code of conduct to learn a bit about how we communicate (and how we don’t) and what to do if you see the code of conduct violated.

2 Likes

Hello mortals!

My name is Pablo and I’m passionate about open source and sustainable business models around them. I’m CEO of Kaleidos (kaleidos.net) but probably most important, CEO of Taiga and Penpot, two great open source products featuring great UX/UI in the case of Taiga and prototype and design capabilities themselves in the case of Penpot (to be publicly announced on Jan 2021).

I’ve been in Open Source since 1996, regular FOSDEM and similar events attendee since 2000 and loving all things community. You can know a bit more about me (personally) here https://elenya.net/

I hope to contribute particularly with our design approaches to Taiga and Penpot but really open to learn you all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome @diacritica. nice to have you here.

1 Like

If you are interested in giving a talk in our Devroom at FOSDEM2021 the CFP is still open, although it ends tomorrow, we would love to hear from you. This year it would be hosted online, and we are really looking forward to it.

1 Like

Hi Brown!
Sure! I actually sent a talk a week ago or so. Fingers crossed!

Hey everyone :wave:t4: I’m Lewis Kang’ethe Ngugi! Excited to introduce myself:

• I live in Nairobi :kenya: working full time remotely as a Product Designer at Lookback

• Self-taught multidisciplinary and fullstack designer. Previously a First Designer (UX, UI, Visual and Product) & Growth Marketer in a startup.

• Fun fact: I code from time to time and love to help out with a small community TechKenyans.

• Super excited to finally find this movement, been looking forward to contributing to Open Source from a Design perspective

Cheers to a Great New Year :tada:

4 Likes

Karibu! we’re happy to have you here :smiley:
I miss Nairobi very much!

I love lookback! I used to use it a lot when I was doing regular usertesting sessions :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi I’m Will. I experienced the benefits of open source after I installed the F Droid app store.

I’m from London, I used to work in Fintech and have recently moved into Healthcare tech. I did UI back in the day (Photoshop CS3) but in my work I do much more UX. I love both and recently, I’ve been sharpening my UI/graphics/motion design skills.

I want to get involved and volunteer in more open source design work so I started to look for communities.

This forums looks active and nice so I thought I’d make an account and chat to you all!

2 Likes

Hi everyone
I have been interested in contributing to some open source design projects for a long time so i jumped in to say hi.
For the last couple of years I’ve been working on some large scale web platforms and apps, mostly as a UX and interaction designer, and i hope i can contribute to the open source community as well.

3 Likes

Hello @willd and @Fotis_M !

I joined a few days ago myself!
I recently graduated from a bachelor’s course in visual design, and I’m really interested in figuring out how I can contribute to open source.

Have a look through the forums for anything that catches your interest!

4 Likes

Hi all! I’m Nimisha, college senior from India, and currently doing design-y stuff at Nextcloud (shoutout to @jan for encouraging me to introduce myself here :D).
I’ve been into open source and ethical tech for a while now, and I feel like I finally found the one corner of the internet where there are open source designers and not developers, lol.
Excited to be a part of this community! Always looking for opportunities to help make cool things :slight_smile:

6 Likes