FOSDEM 2019 Open Source Design organization

@jan They use a drop down menu for the number of tables, but I’ve added the “if possible” bit to the Why does it fit FOSDEM? question

@evalica I’ve added the core email address and clarified the purpose of each table.

Thanks both for reviewing and commenting!! :slight_smile:

Below is the final version I’ll be submitting later today.

Name of project:
Open Source Design

Description of project(s) for publication:
Open Source Design is a community of designers and developers advocating more open, human-centered and participatory design processes within free and open source software. We understand “design” in a broad sense, and our community includes interaction designers, content experts, design researchers, information architects, graphic designers, usability and user experience professionals, and of course software developers. What we all share is the conviction that engaging users in the process of developing software results in better software.

Our booth will be running a “design clinic”, an informal one-to-one set up where you can sit down with a designer to talk about your FOSS project, ask questions and seek advice on diverse aspects of design, from usability testing to typography. Our volunteer designers have a mix of skills and experience, both in commercial and FOSS projects.

Why does it fit FOSDEM?
Open Source Design has been present at FOSDEM since 2015, when we organised our first devroom. Our sole purpose is advocating human-centered design within FOSS. Our devrooms have been well attended, and we have seen strong demand for design contributions. The design clinic last year gave us the opportunity to engage more actively with projects, and created opportunities for stable and long-term collaborations between designers and FOSS projects. We would like to repeat the activity in 2019.

One of the issues we had last year was lack of space for the design clinic. That’s why we are asking for 2 tables this year if possible. We would allocate one table to the standard booth activities (providing information about the project, distributing stickers and other project promotional materials), and we would allocate the second table to the design clinic.

Number of tables:

Primary contact
Belén Barros Pena

Submitter’s affinity to the project(s):
I have been involved with Open Source Design since its inception. I was the main co-ordinator of the first and second devrooms in 2015 and 2016, and have been involved in the organisation of the subsequent devrooms in 2017 and 2018.

Project website URL:

Project logo URL

Project contact email address
core@opensourcedesign.net

Source code location:

Additional links (e.g. IRC, Google+, RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, mailing list etc.):
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/opensrcdesign

IRC:

Forum:
https://discourse.opensourcedesign.net/

Special requirements:
A couple of extra chairs. The design clinic format requires visitors to sit down with the designer to have a quiet, and relatively long (about 15 minutes) chat, often with a laptop in front of them. So having chairs where visitors can sit would be handy. We expect 2 designers available in the clinic at any given time, which means we would need 2 extra chairs if possible.

3 Likes