FOSDEM 2019 Open Source Design organization

I’ve started the application for this year’s FOSDEM Devroom.

I’ve made very few edits to the proposal yet. I’ve made the post into a “wiki” post, so it’s editable by others so we can collaborate on it.

If you want to make a change, you’re very welcome to. (If something isn’t clear - I’ll ask :slight_smile: )

The submission needs to be sent by September 20th.

@victoria-bondarchuk, @evalica you’ve both expressed interest. Any thoughts?

Devroom Request for FOSDEM 2019

Title: Open Source Design 2019
Coordinator: Bernard Tyers (& others!?)
Coordinator email: email.for.fosdem
Secondary contact: Please add.
Secondary email: Please add.

Description
After 4 years of successful devrooms, we want to continue our presence at FOSDEM this year.

Our continuing aim for our devroom is to advocate and promote the inclusion of design - in all forms - in open source.

There is demand for a devroom with this topic - our CfP results in more submissions than we can accomodate, our devroom schedule is full. For the last 2 or 3 years we’ve used our “ROOM IS FULL” sign a number of times a day. :slight_smile:

Since the beginning of our Open Source Design community (https://opensourcedesign.net/) we promoted several initiatives, like having a “jobs board” where FOSS projects, large and small, looking for design contributors can connect with available designers. We’ve had job posts from Moodle, Discourse, OpenEMR, Drupal, Inkscape, Tellform, etc.

Members of the Open Source Design Collective have started meetups in different cities throughout the world - Freiburg, Madrid, Boston, Colorado, New York.

TODO We’ve also held 2 Open Source Design summits

TODO We’ve also become affiliated to FSFE and EFF.

TODO
[ ] talks we’ve given at other events to promote design (I’m thinking CCC)
[ ] include design clinic stand mention

FOSDEM helped us having a place to meet yearly face to face, talk about the projects/ideas/challenges we faced over the year and we hope to have a healthy number of proposals submitted and great attendance this year too.

The goal of this devroom is to showcase design work done within free and open source projects, and strengthen the connections between designers involved in FOSS.

We mean “design” in a broad sense, and we include within that term typography, graphic design, interaction design, user experience and design research activities.

Possible topics include

FOSS design tools
Design techniques and deliverables
Design - engineering collaboration approaches
User engagement and design research activities
Project case studies
Experiences of doing design in open source projects 

After receiving several requests, we will probably dedicate an hour to project pitches, so that projects looking for design contributions can introduce themselves and establish contact with designers eager to help.

Coordinator’s affinity to the topic of the devroom
_TODO_Description

Why does it fit FOSDEM?
FOSS projects bring in particular challenges that affect almost every aspect of design. Techniques and approaches used in closed software settings must be re-purposed and adapted to FOSS. This is hard to do on your own.

We hope that sharing experiences across projects and communities will help establish a set of practices that are effective, flexible and transferable across FOSS projects.

The devroom last year also proved to be a great way of connecting designers with FOSS projects looking for design contributors.

Having a devroom again next year will increase our chances to expand the community and will give us the opportunity to spread the word between developers regarding how and where to get design help for their projects.

Relevant URLs

Timeslot
Full day

Special requirements
A room which is accessible to those with motor skill impairments - a room which is accessible with both stairs and lift.

3 Likes