💭 Difficulties of design in open source

Thanks for pointing me to this thread @jdittrich!

I’m doing the research about Open Design, and compiling all my findings in one mindmap. This thread is a goldmine of information and I agree with things said here. I created a separate branch (orange) to the left of the mindmap and tried to structure all ideas from this thread there.

A lot of great things are being created by the open source movement, and as a designer, developer and entrepreneur I believe that open collaboration should become a thing in other fields too. I see this movement not as a part of open source, but something more general, so it could work with any kind of project, even a no-code one. Collaboration can be available not only to designers and developers, but to all sorts of other creatives from writers to musicians. So in order to find the solution that would make it possible, I am now trying to understand how it works currently, what problems are there with existing solutions and what they are lacking.

At the moment there are two major problems in my opinion: the lack of infrastructure (version control of creative assets, no open collaboration platforms for them) and community, especially the cultural differences between creatives and developers which have to be addressed in order to create an inclusive solution. Motivation is an important issue as well: it will not be the same for creatives as it is for developers in the open source.

This leaves us with three levels of the system that have to be addressed in order to create a solution for open creativity. Firstly, a level of an individual contributor: what their motives, expectations and attitude are, what they are feeling, what previous experience and knowledge and experience they have. Secondly, a level of a group of people — a community. How the collaboration is managed, the internal “climate” of the community, the decision making process. And lastly, an infrastructure level: what tools are used, their accessibility, and how they enable people to create, share their ideas and collaborate with each other.

2 Likes