Connect Open Source Design with more designers

There are some very valid points here. Especially this made me think:

I guess open source developers in need will be able to find this community in the end (they have a super clear need, and limited options). Reaching the first target group, and then specifically the undergrads, that’s the challenge. I guess OSD needs to be where those designers are - reach out, show we exist.

Of course twitter helps, but I imagine it’s not necessarily where designers are. @Kai, as an undergrad, where would you or your peers look for inspiration, or assignments? Which platforms and which hashtags would you use? Do you follow any specific accounts?

Some other ideas:

• LogoDesignersClub’s Instagram account has logo design challenges, A/B version votes, tips, logo stories, etc. Would be great if OSD would have something similar, of course covering the open source realm. Or, if we’re bold, we could try & start a collaboration.
  • UpLabs organises design challenges for major platforms. As discussed here, we (should) want to move away from those easy targets. Setting up such challenges (pick a site/app/application, call for contributions, showcase results & let the community vote) e.g. on a quarterly basis, using this forum might help attract new designers & challenge them to help the FOSS community. This could be a great example result :slight_smile:
  • Identify & display in big on the OSD homepage a hashtag (e.g. #OSSdesign) that can be used on different platforms to find relevant work. We can also provide a link to relevant searches on different platforms (insta, dribble, twitter, behance, …)

And, @pkshefi, which step should we first take? :wink:

3 Likes