Coming Up with a Product

tl;dr yes, I think so.

Re: @jdittrich’s recent topic and diagrams such as the one at A Beg­inner’s Guide to Finding User Needs, any number of things might be done to prepare stakeholders (including yourself) for the inevitability of troughs in emotion.

Some such troughs can result when there’s variance from an agreed timeline. Defocusing from product design …

[spoiler]When managing e.g. mini projects over which I have a reasonable degree of control, I know from experience to not trust my own ‘gut’ estimates about time and resource scheduling. I take my somewhat dyslexic estimate, multiply it by at least four before offering a timescale to anyone who will be involved.

Non-managed projects are a quite different kettle of fish. [/spoiler]

It’s always good to define goals, I should be cautious of predefining too much about the product.

#thinkbubbles computer-free; two mind maps per person, one of which is a third person interpretation of the first person’s spoken mind; rigidity of Gantt; bubbles from the maps on to the lines of the Gantt; multiperson scrunch of the combined bubbles + lines, to tell how it feels; stretch, tear, repair until the remaining scraps become cohesive in a way that’s mutually agreeable.