Open Source Design project with Sustain OSS: Badges

Hi folks, I am following up on a chat @Erioldoesdesign and I had in the O.S.D. monthly meeting call. We discussed a way to roughly split this collaboration into three “phases” or steps. Each might last between 2-4 weeks.

1. Phase 1: Badges best practices
    • This period focuses on collecting feedback and ideas on how digital badges an be used as a system to reward positive community behaviors.
    • This might involve conducting interviews with members of community projects that use a digital badging system.
    • This feedback would be collected, in order to inform the next phase.
  2. Phase 2: Create open source templates and design resources for badging services
    • This period creates a loose framework, style guide, or some other concrete resource that someone can use (regardless of what software they are using) to design a good badging system.
    • What makes sense depends on the interest we receive, but examples might be SVG templates for badges, an Inkscape color palette, and any other tools that someone could use for basic branding / design of digital badges.
  3. Phase 3: Promotion and outreach
    • In line with the Sustain OSS collaboration, we would aim to have an outbound report on this collaboration and anything we produce in time for a Sustain Summit 2021 event (whether in-person or virtual).
    • This period is an opportunity to take what we produced and share it out as a resource for others. Conference talks beyond the Sustain Summit are also a good idea in this phase.

So, these three phases would be the loose “guidelines” to how we move forward on this. But this is the most I intend to lay out details. A lot of this is going to have to be figured out slowly, step-by-step.

Curious for other folks’ thoughts! If we can reach a consensus, we can set up another meeting to work on planning out Phase 1.

Edit: We also created a shared Etherpad for collecting any notes or ideas about this. We will probably use this more actively at our next meeting!

4 Likes