Not being present in the fediverse is a huge missed oppertunity

There has been a long time since I’ve talked about it on the forum but I think it’s time to talk about it again.

The fediverse seems to be something that has come to stay and it is rear to have libre/opensource projects and organizations that are not present on the fediverse.

I have now several times come in to situations where it has been ackward on the fediverse because you can’t @ opensource design there

And most opensource artists will be on it anyway

So I think it’s a big missed oppertunity to not be present there even if it’s not being super active.

Maybe it could autopost new job postings and news forum posts.

But I don’t decide this for opensource design but I thought it would be worthwhile to bring it up again.

1 Like

I have to fully agree with your notion here :blush:

I am myself at @humanetech@mastodon.social, and I fell in love with all that I found and continue to find on the Fediverse. As such I am also very active in a number of other places, such as in the SocialHub community, where we work on the open standards and ecosystem that underly this new social fabric. I see Fediverse as a field lab for Humane Technology and a place to ‘do Social right’. We have adopted two slogans to capture this:

• United in Diversity
  • Social Networking Reimagined

The fediverse is quite active, but one should first find the right followers / following to build an interesting timeline. This is different than e.g. Twitter where the algorithm immediately starts to throw recommendations and putting you in an echo chamber based on your interactions.

Fediverse direly needs Designers like the members of this community to join the fray! There’s so much to to and there’s enormous untapped potential. Many opportunities remain as yet unexplored. On SocialHub I created the Fediverse Futures section, and at Lemmy (decentralized Reddit alternative) there’s a Fediverse Futures brainstorming companion. Both with some inspiring ideas, but just the tip of the iceberg touched. Here’s a Watchlist of current federated Applications that I help co-maintain.

My call to action: Designers, please join the Fediverse and build with us :rocket:

From a purely personal perspective I’m already struggling wth the volunteer workload I have to maintain a couple of communities and the activity we have here at OSD already - I would love to understand more and do something in the fediverse but i think what i need is for someone to take me through the process on a call and help me understand what the level of effort is before i commit to participating or helping to set something up with the consensus of OSD community folks :slight_smile: either of you up for that?

1 Like

[Erioldoesdesign] Eriol Fox
https://discourse.opensourcedesign.net/u/erioldoesdesign
Erioldoesdesign Core Group
November 17

From a purely personal perspective I’m already struggling wth the
volunteer workload I have to maintain a couple of communities and the
activity we have here at OSD already - I would love to understand more
and do something in the fediverse but i think what i need is for
someone to take me through the process on a call and help me
understand what the level of effort is before i commit to
participating or helping to set something up with the consensus of OSD
community folks :slight_smile: either of you up for that?

Agree… I thnk we can invite someone of a server that support/host
fediverse, to explain what they do, why and how is work, for everyone of
us… to introduce the topic.

and after decide in which server we would like write and which are the
strategies.

Like… I have some accounts in https://mastodon.bida.im and also in
https://systerserver.town, because different servers are on different
topics or in different local community. Which we would like?

Second… looking for the integrations… I use everyones which “mastodon
autopost” that is a plugin for wordpress… here probably we can
understand … if il possible connect to the CI (continuos integration)
or in a post commit hook… ? to just retoot the article of the website…
or if exist try to seek for a integration on the public treads of our
discuss… hum…

hugs sorry for my italenglish :stuck_out_tongue:

ignifugo

1 Like

I think https://mastodon.art/ is definitively the best community for opensource design to use

Don’t want to make any big commitments, but I’ll gladly help out. It’s basicly like creating a second twitter account, just that this account is on a social network that works more akin to how email works today.

1 Like

I have my own profile on Mastodon (that I don’t really use though I should!) so I’ll join that community to do updates from OSD until we can get some community consensus on making an OSD mastodon profile :smiley: