Monthly Open Source Design call

Hey folks so the next meeting is on the 4th of December (well the 5th of December for me as I’ll be in CST/JST timezone…02.00am meeting. Ouch.)

Same agenda?

18:00 GMT // 19:00 CEST // 23:30 IST // 14:00 EST // 11:00 PST // 21:00 EAT // 02:00 CST // 03:00 JST)

https://meet.jit.si/opensourcedesign

Annnnnnd let’s think agenda!

  • FOSSDEM - submissions and extending the deadline~
  • Apache con < How did this go!? I’m super keen to hear
  • Mozfest < Also how did this go? I have some nice updates :smiley:
  • All things open conf < I spoke to some good folks at this conf and there are some opportunities for collaboration!
  • DesignUP conference in Bangalore
  • Open UP! Summit in Taipei
  • CA/SF Bay Area meet up
  • https://www.eff.org/EFA-FAQ
  • Manifesto reading
  • AOB

Push to next meeting?

  • Is the repo cloning working now?
  • Are there active issues to work on to support OSD stuff?
  • Something re. Governance docs
1 Like

I’m afraid I will be missing this again :frowning:

But, can I ask for FOSDEM to be added to the agenda? Hopefully some of the people working on the devroom will be in the call and they can give an update.

At this point it would be good to discuss an extension of the submission deadline, something we end up doing every year :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

@belenbarrospena it is done :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be at the meeting. I’m happy to be notetaker.

2 Likes

On 04.12.2019 we had a small call with me, Dina and Bernard.

We discussed:

  • What would be an appropriate time and day for the monthly call
  • ApacheCon collaboration effort
  • Opensource articles on external blogs/websites
  • Getting more people involved in OSD (like students)
  • FOSDEM talks selection process, status, extension date
  • Creating a YouTube channel or playlist with FOSDEM videos from OSD devroom
  • Creating OSD t-shirts that we could wear at FOSDEM
  • Meeting again in the next days to tackle the FOSDEM schedule and other organisational stuff.

Very nice to discuss with Dina and Bernard. Sometimes it’s hard to find the time to join the call, but every time it’s a blast :wink:

2 Likes

1000x want OSD crew shirts.

FYI team I’ve booked all my travel and accommodation for Brussels so I’ll see ya’ll at FOSSDEM in whatever capacity I’m most useful~

1 Like

Alas…I thought I could stay awake until 2am…but I’m exhausted…sorry folks

1 Like

@Erioldoesdesign something to add to the agenda for today’s meeting:

1 Like

errrr apparently our monthly meeting was supposed to be yesterday! Jan the 1st 2020.

In my defence I was on a plane at that time.

Do we wanna have a call next Wednesday ready for FOSSDEM? gimme your hot takes and I’ll be a better meeting organiser starting…now!

2 Likes

Again…technically the OSD monthly call was supposed to be the first Wednesday evening (UTC) of Feb which was last week! :sweat_smile:

Shall we get a head start on the agenda for the 4th of March?

Tentative agenda:

  • What would be an appropriate time and day for the monthly call << ongoing discussion re timezone-ness
  • New core team member welcome :tada:
  • ApacheCon collaboration effort + Updates
  • Opensource articles on external blogs/websites
  • Getting more people involved in OSD (like students)
  • Creating a YouTube channel or playlist with FOSDEM videos (and other videos?) from OSD devroom
  • Creating OSD t-shirts that we could wear at ~FOSDEM~ any conference!
  • Open UP! Summit in Taipei 2020
  • CA/SF Bay Area meet up

All the things all the time?

1 Like

Discourse won’t let me reply to this more than 3 times… so I had to edit my previous message

So, Wednesday 6th May at 19.00 CEST? Anyone?

Agenda could be!

  • OSD virtual Summit? how, why, when?
  • FOSDEM actions left over? are there any?

@macruzbar Apologies we have yet to talk about a SF/CA meet up and supporting you. We have a busy winter/start to the year it seems! Can we please make sure you’re heard and supported going forward :bouquet:

Thanks Eriol for posting the Monthly Meetings notes! Great job!

3 Likes

Hey folks!

I went on https://meet.jit.si/opensourcedesign at approx 18.30pm BST (late due to a previous work meeting!)

I didn’t see anyone so I stuck around for few mins before tapping out.

The core team have discussed a meeting tonight on June the 4th at 20.30pm BST/GMT (see other timezones here!)

I think In general, having a single day with a single time doesn’t cover both core team and the potential global communities.

I’m proposing to trial, for 6 months me doing something like:

Over the first week of every month, so from July 1st to July 7th 2020 (and then for each month after) hold 1 hour meetings at different times of the day.

Proposal example for next month:

July Wednesday 1st - CEST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00 (our regular time)
July Thursday 2nd - EDT ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00
July Friday 3rd - PDT ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00
July Saturday 4th - CEST ‘daytime friendly time’ 13.00
July Sunday 5th - Day off or a request a time day.
July Monday 6th - JST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00
July Tuesday 7th - IST ‘evening friendly time’ 19.00

Agendas would be the same across the meetings to get feedback on topics from all different folks.

I’ll also send a pull request to the https://opensourcedesign.net/events/monthly-online-meeting/ page to reflect these changes if we’re cool with them? I propose just trying this out and see if it helps with some of the multi-timezone problems. If it doesn’t well…then we don’t have a timing problem and it’s possibly something else like an async agenda topic on the discourse each month or a shared doc or we record calls to watch back.

1 Like

Sounds very good! Added the events accordingly to the calendar, hope I didn’t mess anything up! :slight_smile: https://cloud.nextcloud.com/index.php/apps/calendar/p/MIFAFLFJADIVX63I/dayGridMonth/now

1 Like

Notes from 4th June 2020 - 20.30 BST //

Open Source Design meeting

Attending
Evalica, Amit, Jan CB, Sam, Eriol,

  • Nextcloud event error & PR, discussed and fixed. Deleted Eriol’s PR where the link to next cloud is removed because it’s updated now and works! :slight_smile:

  • Taiwan OSS event

    • Eriol to connect Amit up with the team for Open Architecture via email
  • Libre graphics was last week

  • Swapping admin roles between

    • AP: Amit & Saptak aren’t in the core group list and need adding!

    • What is the role - Monitoring spam, similar to GitHub organisation, can set new categories, limit to 5 admins on the sponsored hosting. In practice the admins don’t do much

    • Roles in discourse 0 (new user)- 4 (leader) should allow everything except creation of new categories.

  • Prevented from replying more than 3 times - we increased this to 10

  • Swap the admin roles around? Don’t really need to until there’s something admins can do that others can’t.

  • Update build script Amit & Saptak

  • only separate repo is the jobs one needs merging

  • Can create folders in the presentations repo? < nope

  • Still maintain a log of stuff that happened and then points to their repo/location of slides/video.

Discussion about articles

  • Not just the ones that we write but links out to other relevant articles.
  • After conferences have short summaries and links out article
  • Eriol to write up OSC - Africa article

Less things to maintain are good.

  • Kaliedos
    • UXBOX -> Penpot
    • CEO role is open!

Open Source Design Summit
- Mozilla festival could host a summit
- Talks from Open Up global summit & fodder 2020 could also be part of the summit
- Decide the purpose
- Sam: format of events and workshops: libra graphics meeting, New Zealand miss so much of online conferences. When there is time zone overlaps and can take part in workshops and Q&A’s. Want to take part in active sessions and walkthroughs & explain thinking. Use the knowledge in the community and skill share 7 things that they can share.
- Would be nice to have 15 mins presentations to contribute to project.
- Panel’s and Q&A
- Still record it and have them re-watch later

Badges project with Sustain OSS
https://discourse.sustainoss.org/t/sustain-discourse-forum-encouraging-community- with-badges/383
Eriol is gonna take this forward with sustain + open source design

Many different call times work for different zone

Actions from this meeting:
AP: Amit & Saptak aren’t in the core group list and need adding! < Eriol has done this :slight_smile:

AP: Eriol will write up an OSCAfrica article draft

Actions carried over from last meeting:

AP: Eriol to connect Amit up with the team for Open Architecture via email

AP: Update build script Amit & Saptak

AP: Jobs repo needs merging into the main repo

FOSDEM 2020 actions:

OSD July suggested agenda

  1. How to involve existing members in more sustainable support for OSD
  2. How to gather/encourage more designers to join
  3. Any website movements/improvements/PR’s that need reviewing?
    3a. The suggestion from a member for a ‘showcase’ area of OSD website
  4. Some updates from UXBOX to share with the community.
  5. OSD Summit conversations and any other conference news
  6. Any other jobs/projects we want to discuss? Sustain OSS badges?
  7. AOB (Any other business)

I was thinking of starting an etherpad or an .md on our github or something for notes as well as posting them in this forum but that might be extra duplication that we need to maintain so happy to keep posting here in discourse

2 Likes

Very ‘raw’ notes from the various OSD monthly meetings for July 2020:

Open Source Design July Monthly call #1

19.00 CEST

Agenda:

  • How to involve existing members in more sustainable support for OSD
  • How to gather/encourage more designers/people to join
  • Getting more students in involved opportunities for marketing and outreach

  • Reaching out to university’s - Need guidance and effort and support

  • Need to think about marketing opportunities

  • T-shirts and shirts and swag

  • Competition monthly where the participants get swag at the end.

  • Students like to brag about it - twitter

  • Make it sustainable by students feeding into the competition

- AP: Eriol to start a forum thread for this idea

  • Software freedom conservancy - https://sfconservancy.org/projects/ financials and governance etc. support with. Get consulting & legal expertise. Scaling governance.

  • The Open Source Summit legacy talk.

  • Sustain 2021 is good deadline

  • Conferences were a go to for new members/energising existing member which is hard right now.

  • Monthly meeting agendas help people to know whether they want to attend.

  • Some people after 5-6 years are tired and have other things to do so they are moving away from things

  • No documented levels in group we can give certain privileges to people.

  • Biggest concern about core group is credentials

  • Vouch for/sponsor

  • Meet in real life

    • Decisions
  • If people want to do something they should do it. If something is ‘using our name’ it should be known and approved.

  • The monthly calls are not just core team calls they are open and community calls.

  • We only have control via a PR review.

  • GSoC/Outreachy helps recruit new OSS interests

  • Projects to apply to to contribute to “Where do I contribute to?’

  • How designers contribute to OSS? where is the list? could we provide some generic rules for contributing.

  • Community call vs. Core team meetings

  • Community can be on IRC, participate and learn

  • We have an IRC channel, for two or three years didn’t really work.

  • Need to work on discoverability of info.

  • Coders are need

  • Amit & Saptak are happy to help code

  • A& S & E are looking to help clean up GitHub

  • Any website movements/improvements/PR’s that need reviewing?
    3a. The suggestion from a member for a ‘showcase’ area of OSD website

  • Some movement is happening here which is nice

  • Design education on P&S

  • Some updates from UXBOX to share with the community.
  • Gave an update about Uxbox

  • Adobe XD going fully open source

  • OSD Summit conversations and any other conference news
  • Talks but also tutorial how I do this stuff in an OSD way

  • Open Source Diversity summit is whispers of - Can we co-locate these two conferences?

  • Organisation of this is the hard part!

  • Any other jobs/projects we want to discuss? Sustain OSS badges?
  • AP: Add it as a job on OSD jobs posting via etherpad for collaboration & add on to the Sustain OSS discourse forum. https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/sustainoss-badges-notes

    • Ideal structure for feedback process:
    • Design phase 1 - 2-4 weeks, ‘What defines good behaviour for badges’ & UX interviews with the Sustain community.
    • Phases 2 - Design sample: 2- 4 weeks of visuals/graphics,
    • Phase 3 - ‘Documentation and proposal to Sustain OSS’ ‘How do they want to carry on with this?’
    • Can this tie into the Sustain OSS summit in 2021 and also into the Sustaining design & UX in OSS.
  • AOB (Any other business)

  • We talked about fossresponders project

  • Hourly estimates on the work for the jobs page

  • Onboarding for submitting job how to post a job that designers will want to work on! < could be an article.

  • We talked about how to get validation from peers and the wider design network

00.00 BST - Friday 3rd

Stayed until 00.20 no shows

03.00 BST - Saturday 4th

Stayed until 00.20 no shows

11.00 BST - Monday 6th July

Stayed until 00.20 no shows

14.30 BST - Tuesday 7th July

1 attendee

Wednesday 8th

extra meeting at 4pm with 4 atteendees

1 Like

Oha. Source?

What is P&S?

I have some experience there, glad to support.

I remember that @bumbleblue had a talk on this topic, too. Would it make sense to join forces, there?

2 Likes

Eep, I dropped the ball a bit this month (August) with the call times/days.

I’ve been pretty busy job searching etc. I’ll have a look at the calendar and see what other days I can do calls on