Healthicons.org Leader(s) Wanted

During Covid, I started a free open source design project called HealthIcons.org that has many great contributors. We created over 1000 useful health icons that are used in important open source projects like DHIS2.org

Managing the community and growing the usefulness and impact of Healthicons.org is more than I can handle in my life right now. I would love others to step in and take a leadership role in the project. There is plenty of room to grow the impact of the project by rallying the community.

Is anyone interested? Has anyone had experience bringing in new leadership to shephard an open source project like this?

Would love to discuss.

1 Like

Looks, awesome!
plantation_worker_alt@2x

1 Like

Maybe we can try write something like A.I. leader - if you interested in, I mean just a bunch of logic functions for community but under label a “leader”, I think it will be really interesting. What you think?

To be honest, I don’t know what you mean @bazylevnik0. Can you explain?

I mean really just a bunch of logic functions)
OK, each leader have a functionality - usually it is choosing direction(from proposed) , scheduling tasks of community, etc. I think it is possible to define, while looking for community needs and forming it for example to app, or site.
Also like a core of “brain” of our leader we can use “brain” of community, like a supervised training by participants of community, maybe sort of democracy mechanism, also I think important use something like a points/score for community members, it’s like a human leader choose self favorites for special tasks for example.
*I am not expert on it, but like coding)

I was certainly imagining human leadership! Have you ever seen AI leadership anywhere else that’s analogous? Seems like a stretch but heck, maybe I just don’t have enough imagination.

With white beard or with a crown of thorns?)

Hi @dburka
The project seems interesting, but I have no experience leading a project like this. Can you describe the status of the project and what is needed to lead it? How much of a time commitment is it? Are there others involved regularly?

2 Likes

Hi @kemie! Thanks so much for even expressing interest. During Covid, we had about 15 people contributing regularly to the HealthIcons project — mostly working in Figma to create a big collection of useful icons, but also to create the website. We have a Slack where we collaborate, but it’s gone a bit quiet since I had a baby last year and have been swamped with work on my main full-time work on Simple.org

The main job of a leader on this project:

• Figure out how to extend the icon collection in ways that benefit the health tech world.
  • Figure out how to get it into more people’s hands either by marketing it or getting the icons into more places (e.g. we should really share them all into the Noun Project).

Other potential leadership activities:

• Task a team to find out more about how the icons are used in the real world and make them more useful. For instance, I’ve started using them more with the DHIS2.org project and they don’t mesh well with the Material icons which are very popular. Should we consider a smaller variation of the icons? Or even just some of the icons?
  • What would make the website better? We had a 2-person volunteer team working on a new taxonomy but it fell apart about 90% done.
  • Task a team to make a better process for people to request new icons. Right now, it’s through Github and we get almost no requests. It’s too developer-centric, I suspect.

Thanks Daniel! I’m interested in being part of the project, but I’m hesitant to take over leadership, since I’m not sure about my ability/time required. But maybe I can become more involved, take over some of the tasks needed and take it from there?

Amazing @kemie! That’s an excellent suggestion. I certainly don’t expect you to take leadership on a project from scratch. Come collaborate with us and let’s see where this leads. I really appreciate that you’re offering to get involved. :heart:

Hello @dburka welcome. You’re probably already seen we’re having some problems with our jobs board infrastructure (boo Heroku!), which means it’s not possible to post this leadership request to it.

In the interim, would you agree to us (in reality me) manually adding this to the jobs board on your behalf?

It will happen via Github PR, so if you’re comfortable doing that I can start it and you can take it forward.

OK?

Thanks you @ei8fdb. This isn’t really a “job” — it’s a volunteer contributor to a free open source design project who might be interested in taking a leadership role in the project. But if that’s appropriate for the Job Board, please go ahead! I don’t plan on “interviewing” people like a traditional job.

This isn’t really a “job” — it’s a volunteer contributor to a free open source design project who might be interested in taking a leadership role in the project. But if that’s appropriate for the Job Board, please go ahead! I don’t plan on “interviewing” people like a traditional job.

Yes absolutely that was clear it wasn’t a “job”. We’ve had many of those in the past too. We’ve defined job broadly - gratis, paid for contributions.

1 Like

It’s been a 2 years I am working in Healthcare product I think I can contribute in this project.