Discourse Category Refactoring

Hi there,

After discussing with other folks on Signal, we were thinking about reordering and tidying the categories on our Discourse here as right now there are categories where the last post has been months ago and we should consider distilling those.

Due to that, I’d propose following categories (and subcategories)

Events

• Local Meetups
  • Summit
  • Conferences

Design Lounge

• Communication
  • Visual Identity
  • Interaction Design
  • Usability

Job Board

Meta

• Core Team (Private)

This would tidy discussions and make for a nicer experience I believe. Tags could be used for specific projects which don’t deserve a category (like fosdem2019).

There were concerns about the Summit having its own subcategory, as it might not be ideal from a user’s view. However I think that having all topics in one place is convenient for the people organizing it.

Please give us your feedback so we can implemented the agreed upon changes.

2 Likes

I like this!

I don’t think “core team” needs to be under meta.

Only people who are in private categories see them, so with all the categories being more nested, I don’t see an issue with private categories being on the first level, especially because if you’re in a private category that is more likely to be of interest to you.

I agree with that as well, sounds better.

The proposed reorgnization sounds fine to me.

Is the Signal conversation only available to a few people or to everybody? The “Chat” link at http://opensourcedesign.net still points to IRC, which I keep an eye on (it’s pretty quiet).

It’s my fault I use Signal a bit too much then it should be for. We have a Core group chat for well, Core things. It’s not encouraged to discuss broader issues there, so hence I brought this discussion here.

I’d like to hear more thoughts from others, especially @core-group on this matter as well

Thanks for bringing this matter into the open.

I don’t see much traction here, I’d suggest waiting a few more days before implementing a new category tree.

I’d like to keep “usability and research” rather than only “usability”

Everything else seems fine to me.

Makes Total sense.

@simonv3 @jdittrich would you be able to do necessary changes?

OK, moved them (some things diverge still)

Thanks @jdittrich. There are still some differences.

Local Meetups (not Local meetups)
Conferences (not conferences)

Lounge should be merged into Design and be called Design Lounge to serve as the main category. Also uncategorised should go there I suppose.

Open Source Design Meta should be renamed to just Meta.

Basically let’s also use Title Case for the category titles. Keeping distinct colors for those and their subcategories is also important.

@elioqoshi you said this in Request for a NYC sub-category in /Events/Local Meetups/ - #6 by elioqoshi

So the structure could be like this:

Events

• FOSDEM
  • Open Source Design Summit
  • FOSSASIA
  • Open Tech Summit

Local Meetups

• NYC
  • Tirana
  • Berlin

I like it, and it’s basically like in the FSFE Discourse at https://community.fsfe.org – but it’s different to what you originally proposed in the first post at Discourse Category Refactoring

So – I’m good with splitting up Events and Local Meetups and would go ahead and do it, just asking to confirm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, that’s indeed something which I had in mind! Untill OSD gets so big we have too many conferences to list like that of course :stuck_out_tongue: