There are other organizations supporting open design, design for open source applications or design for non-profit or grassroot projects. Here is a thread to collect these and maybe even to organize an outreach to them.
On a mailinglist for designers/researchers, I came across “Design Gigs for Good”: »We’ve both noticed a growing interest in designers turning to social impact work, and organizations looking to grow their design capacity. This jobs list is designed to help accelerate all this goodness.« (source)
Here’s some related organizations:
- Similar umbrella groups, though seemingly inactive (most are members of Open Source Design already): opendesign.foundation @GarthDB (not really active), OpenDesign.io @mkfnch (merged with us & website redirects), OpenUsability.org @guiguru @jan.muehlig (inactive, expressed interest in moving resources over to Open Source Design)
- Open Source Design agencies (are members of Open Source Design, and we should also showcase them on the website): SimplySecure @ame, Ura @elioqoshi, Open Source Publishing, Manufactura Independente, Gráfica Liebre @Liebres
- Funding sources: Usable_tools / Internews, Prototype Fund (Germany only)
- Development companies working on open source projects, with emphasis on good design): Bocoup, Savoir-Faire Linux, Kaleidos @Xaviju, Operator Foundation
- Initiatives connecting designers with social impact initiatives: Creatives Without Borders, Design Gigs for Good
I’d add also Mozilla, where we were inspired from OSD and took on similar processes via our GitHub repo: github.com/mozilla/OpenDesign
definitely want to mention that my shop (m+mi works), although certainly not an agency, does do F/LOSS design—which I enjoy—with Metapolator as the latest, large example.
Yep. This is great. Should be nicely featured on the website somewhere… ideally with a shiny icons for the given orgs / agencies and all