[March 5-9, 2018 Valencia, Spain] Internet of Freedom Festival

This year Internet of Freedom will take place again in Valencia, Spain on March 5-9. Call for participation is open until the end of Oct.

I was wondering if OSD would be interested to have a session there as an organization?
One of the possible theme we could apply for:

Making Better Tech
The Making Better Tech theme is a space for the technologists that are driving the next generation of security and privacy tools. The theme is geared towards sharing knowledge on improving existing tools, collectively tackling known obstacles, and helping the community strategize on how to work better, together.

@jan, @evalica, @simonv3, @belenbarrospena, @jdittrich, @bnvk, @Incabell, @pdurbin, @studiospring, @ei8fdb and others!
Are you going? Interested to run a community session there?

3 Likes

I will not be attending that event, but it might be worth going for others!

1 Like

@ei8fdb and myself might be going. Happy to help submit a session.

1 Like

Deadline is until today, I was thinking to submit a separate topic, but I also think that as a community we could have a session to share ideas of Open Source Design?

Making Better Tech
The Making Better Tech theme is a space for the technologists that are driving the next generation of security and privacy tools. The theme is geared towards sharing knowledge on improving existing tools, collectively tackling known obstacles, and helping the community strategize on how to work better, together.

Here is the submission form. What do you think? @jan are you going next year?

@victoria-bondarchuk Yes, that sounds good to me. Do you want to go ahead and fill the form? Or do you want me to give it a go?

@ei8fdb

1 Like

@belenbarrospena Would be great if you could do that! :grinning:

@victoria-bondarchuk, @belenbarrospena

I’m busy with work today and won’t get a chance to do anything for it.

It would be a good idea to submit a session. There is still a lot of good to be done with the internet freedom community around the benefit of user-centred design.

Sessions are usually collaborative, workshop-type sessions.

There is also a design jam usually every year. I’d suggest making the offer to be involved in that.

I’m happy to contribute things to it, or chat about it here but I don’t have the brain power at the moment.

I will do my best to submit something this evening.

mmm, it’s already closed :confused:

https://internetfreedomfestival.org/host-a-session/

I assumed it would be end of day. Sorry :frowning:

forget about it: I was in the wrong page :confused:

This seems to be the right one

https://platform.internetfreedomfestival.org/en/session/new?conference_acronym=IFF2018&return_to=%2F

1 Like

Ok, I’ve sent this.

Session title: What do we mean by “design”?

Presenters: @belenbarrospena, @ei8fdb, @victoria-bondarchuk

Theme: Making better tech

Language: English

Session Format: Workshop

Skill level: Intermediate

Preferred Session Time: 1 hour

Session Description

The Open Source Design group (http://opensourcedesign.net) has been advocating for the adoption of user-centred design practices in free and open source software (FOSS) since … well, only since 2015 :slight_smile:

Between other activities, we keep a jobs board (http://opensourcedesign.net/jobs/) that aims to match FOSS projects in search for design contributions with designers seeking to get involved in FOSS.

After 2 years, the submissions to that jobs board have given us a window into how the FOSS community understands and perceives design.

We would like to expand our research on design perceptions to other software communities, and IFF gives us a great opportunity to do so. This workshop will probe the understandings and perceptions about user-centred design within the Internet freedom community, so that we can better understand which aspects and activities of design are most valued and applied, and which ones less so.

The workshop will be participatory in nature. It will use examples from the Open Source Design jobs board and from our interactions with the FOSS community to elicit debate and discussion about what design is, how it is practiced within Internet freedom software projects, and what it contributes to them.

The workshop will help Open Source Design to focus their advocacy activities in those areas of design that need it most. And we will of course publish the outcome, because we practice what we preach!

Who is this session for?

Anybody within the Internet freedom community who has practiced design or has worked with designers as part of a software project.

Anybody within the Internet freedom community who has practiced design or has worked with designers as part of a non-software project (e.g. advocacy, policy, research, media).

Anybody who has considered or wanted to engage designers in their project, but hasn’t been able to just yet.

What outcomes would you like your session to have?

For the Open Source Design community, a better understanding of which areas and activities of user-centred design are less understood or practiced, so that we can focus our advocacy activities in those areas of design that need it most.

For the Internet freedom community, some reflection about what we mean by design, and how we can better engage with designers for the benefit of our projects.

I am sure we can change it a bit if the session is accepted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s great @belenbarrospena. Really well structured.

And yes, we will be able to change it once we’ve been accepted :slight_smile:

Belen, this is awesome! Thank you for putting it all together -looks great. Let’s work out more details if we are accepted.