Jobs boards down

I put new topics to be moderated and pinned a post with a brief explaination (which I made wiki, so we can easily change this):

What I could not do is pointing the website link to the post instead to the defunct form – is someone could do this, the makeshift solution would work coherently and without users going to functions that don’t work.

1 Like

Open Source Collective offers virtual cards. Could this maybe be a solution?

1 Like

May I suggest a slightly different (temporary) approach? Currently the link in the main menu points to the post/thread on how to add a new job, which doesn’t provide an encouraging view of activity. What if we

1 Like

make the post/thread on how to add a new job as ‘banner’. This can be done only globally (across all categories) unfortunately

Yes – this is why I linked to the pinned post instead of the category; I think it is not great to have a global banner with information for one category/use case of the forum.

We could solve it via the website and put the post’s text on a page that explains and links to both forum and new post (it could potentially even pull jobs via RSS and show them). This avoids the discourse-specific clutter around the info. But thats additional work, I don’t know if it is worth it.

1 Like

Coming back to this topic, and @belenbarrospena’s original proposal:

It’s really a pity that one of the core features of the website (at least for me as a not-designer) doesn’t work. Open Source Design sits on quite a bit of money (on Open Collective). Would it be an idea to hire someone/some folks to improve the job board design & functionality, and fix the Heroku dependency?

(Completing (desing + code) the Landing Page Redesign would also be welcome I guess, to give more visibility to the jobs. But then it would start to become a lot.)

Now, I know that’s not what the community voted for in '21. But the situation has changed since the vote, so it might be acceptable.

The timing to pick this up might not be ideal, I’m happy to contribute with time, if it helps :slight_smile:

I’m happy to use a card affiliated with me if we want to reactivate and cost out heroku. We could also ask the folks at Open Collective if there are ways of creating virtual cards from our open collective account.

Also I agree with @keunes - we should use some of our budget in open collective to facilitate this - if getting heroku back up gets jobs being submitted again, its a worthwhile cost until we can find an OSS/Free solution.

hey I wonder if @SaptakS or @AnXh3L0 could advise me what Heroku thing I need to purchase for OSD to get this back up

I think it makes sense to me to have some budget from our open collective for getting heroku back up. I don’t have access to the heroku instance of OSD, so I can’t really comment on what are the resources that project is using.

I tried to create a trial instance of staticman for myself to figure the resources needed, and seems like their “Deploy to Heroku” button is broken (and the project itself seems to be unmaintained). So I manually created a Heroku app using the staticman github template.

It says the resource it will need is a basic dynos ($0.010 / hour) which is around 7$ per month or so I think? I don’t think we need to separately buy anything. Heroku just requires us to have a card to get started to deploy an app. I am guessing the process will be slightly different with an already deployed app. I am hoping that adds a little bit more context. Also, since I can’t see the OSD’s heroku deployment logs and instance, I can’t say for a fact that this will solve all the issues and this is the only cost.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me, imho, lets try it and keep an eye on the costs. $7 should not be a problem.

1 Like

The job form is now working again! I will work on removing the redirects from our website to the discourse?

1 Like