Bootstrapping the Open Source Design Discourse community - TODO list

Although I have no problem with GitHub, not sure why in my heart I have some resistance to all these changes :slight_smile:

So my first reaction is that there are so many topics open, not sure what to put where: on GitHub or on here. I am sure somewhere it was discussed and ā€˜categoriesā€™, but I didnā€™t read it :slight_smile: and I wonā€™t read it :slight_smile: except if it jumps under my eyes :slight_smile:

Anyway, regarding some remarks about the list items:

• Invite GitHub OSD members.
    Not sure whatā€™s the plan here. We have lots of members, but I donā€™t think they should be invited / ported here. It was ok to be part of one organization, but having 2 places to be part of / invited might be too much.
    So not sure what you mean by this point: do you plan to make a script and send invites to all current members? I think this should come organic. If there are interesting topics discussed / listed in Discourse, I think people will join. I donā€™t think manual invitations are required.

• Update the OSD website
    I think this is the most important part. We need to promote the ā€˜serviceā€™ and people will use it, if they see benefit, not because theyā€™ve received an invite. So the website needs to list the ā€˜serviceā€™ and we should send a Tweet about it (not sure if you have other ideas in mind in the ā€œPromote the forumā€ point).

• Migrate GH Issues to Discourse.
    Same thing on the migration. Not sure how will have the time to migrate them, and I guess things will get confusing. We should wait for the open ones to close, but decide that new items related should go here.

• Decide when to open to the masses.
    IMO this should go ASP. That was the whole reason for the forum. I see you want some kind of preparation, but I would just let people create content on it and use it.

• Configuration
    Is there a way to remove the ā€œSuggested Topicsā€ gadget at the bottom of each topic? I find it to crowd the interface and I personally just donā€™t care about it. I would prefer to have things simpler now, especially since Iā€™m a bit overwhelmed.

1 Like