Introductions (come in, say hi)

Hi,

I’m Pauline Léon, a member of a french informal collective, Tricoteuses (see also the introduction in the forum) working on free software and open data related to digital democracy. It started about a year ago but only recently created a UX team.

Our first task is to create a sensible user experience for the developers using the data sets published by tricoteuses. Although the web site already exists, it has no users. We started with intercept interviews (which is largely copy/pasted from @ei8fdb work on SecureDrop) with developers working with data sets to better understand them. The transcript of first interview was published and another should be published today.

As you will see if you visit the web site, most of the work and dialogue are in French, which is the primary reason why I did not post a message on this forum sooner. Although all participants of Tricoteuses can read and write English, most topics contain so many french words that it would require non-trivial translations. We felt it would create more confusion than clarity. And even if we manage to always get perfect translations, the data sets published by the French government are not in English and it would not make sense to translate them.

Despite this language barrier, I hope we can have interactions with the members of OSD and get advice on how to effectively leverage the UX methods within our project.

Cheers

P.S. If you’re interested to know more about the name of the collective: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricoteuse

5 Likes