Create Show-and-Tell videos for basic UX topics

It is often easy to read up on things but harder to imagine how to act based on what you read. The idea: have videos with small worked examples how we do use design and research methods, each 3-10min long showing a realistic, even if shortened work process and collect them.

Expert Review of and existing UI

Needs: A UI with no terrible, but findable issues

• Using heuristics
  • Going though the UI
  • Writing down possible problems

Doing a remote think-aloud test

Needs: Simple website and a simple task

Asking open questions

Needs: Topic and two people to demonstrate this.

KLM Modeling

Needs: Two designs to compare. Efficiency should be relevant.

Compare two designsā€™ efficiencies by using Keystroke level modeling

Review Survey Questions

Needs: Example survey, ideally early state.

Instead of showing how a full survey is created, letā€™s just show how to correct some common errors like

• directing questions
  • unclear scales (is 5 good and 1 bad or vice versa?)
  • Double barrelled questionsā€¦
3 Likes

Since there are lots of explainers and articles on the internet, can we collect a few ways that we want this to differ? Put another way: why should we do a How To UX when so many others already have?
Iā€™d propose, to start:

• We donā€™t use terms like ā€œmarketā€ or ā€œcustomerā€ or ā€œcompetition,ā€ we assume that the end goal is usability rather than growth
  • We donā€™t recommend or model expensive tools
  • We emphasize informed consent, minimal data collection, and data protection when explaining methods that involve users (how do you all feel about the term ā€œusersā€?)
    Moreā€¦?
1 Like

this looks fun :slight_smile: Here come a couple more:

• We showcase free and open source tools and applications that can support execution, capture and analysis of research
  • We emphasise qualitative methods, as both more useful and productive for design purposes, and potentially more sensitive to privacy issues when combined with anonymisation techniques and good data handling practices.
  • We encourage a progression from user-centred to more participatory methods.
  • We position participating in research as a form of contribution to free and open source software.

PS: ā€œusersā€ still much better than consumers or customers, as far I am concerned. But in general I prefer ā€œpeopleā€.

2 Likes

Since there are lots of explainers and articles on the internet

My main idea of differentiation is providing a worked example instead of a ā€œgeneralā€ instruction. This would already be a lot.

But I certainly like what you suggested, as well.

We emphasize informed consent, minimal data collectionā€¦

Yes. I guess the example format is not good for a general discussion of these but Iā€™d love to show some in-situ, e.g. how to ask for and react to a participant wanting to skip a question or not wanting a recording.

1 Like

The questions in the suggested format would rather be: Which situations and actions do we want to show as topics are probably far easier to cover in a written, general article (Of which there are many already)

These are a shade more granular than what @mollyclare added:

• We prioritize information and functionality, rather than behavior or engagement
  • We strive to make users aware of terms of use, rather than hiding or minimizing them
  • We strive to make outcomes and implications of usersā€™ interactions clear to them
  • We value making users think about interactions and outcomes of use (its their data mindset)
  • We value closed (not endless) interactions
1 Like

I agree. Can I suggest we ā€˜prototypeā€™ 1 or 2 of these videos and just see what happens? As we get feedback, we can tweak/learn/adjust what weā€™d like from them. As a first example: I had a twitter thread this weekend on designing a control panel for a stove top. Not typical FOSS task but a fairly focused and known context that displays process, Visual and UX concerns, tied to how UX needs to prioritize. If that doesnā€™t seem right, no worries, please reply with another subject we could try.

1 Like

I like that idea and I think that would fit well. I guess I could not do it (as I do not do a lot of physical design) but you seem to have experience with it, so I think it would be an awesome topic you could demonstrate some basic ideas and processes with.

I could get it started with an expert analysis based on the nielsen heuristics and record that. (Would need to find a good interface for reviewing, though)

This would be a nice little start to gether feedback on.

I love this whole idea!

Would it be a good idea to set aside a 10 min slot in the community monthly calls for someone to do a prototype of a show & tell video with an audience and then have it recorded via jitsi? that way we can test it out as an activity :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice idea & sounds like fun!

1 Like