So you'd like to speak at FOSDEM about UX Design but you have some questions

Hi there!

If you’re interestedin speaking at FOSDEM but you’re unsure of where to start, of what might be a good topic, or you’ve never spoken pubically before, you can post your question here.

We’ll try and help answer any questions you might have.

1 Like

Is FOSDEM 22 going to be in person or virtual?

Hiya @jcklpe FOSDEM 2022 will be 100% virtual. Personally I think the organisers made the right decision to do that.

If you’re interested in speaking: here’s our call for submissions: Call for Participation: Open Source Design Devroom at FOSDEM 2022 - Open Source Design

Go on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. Probably for the best. I just want an excuse to visit lol

@ei8fdb Any way to submit a lightning talk/“Pitch your project” talk for the Open Source Design room? I couldn’t find any guidelines on that.

Oh, yes I understand. Let’s hope that 2023 will be in person. :crossed_fingers:

Ah this is a good point @mirek. Usually we do the pitch your project (PYP) session on the day. But maybe we should make a way that people can submit their project for PYP.

Just to check - you do know that those talks are 2-3 mins maximum, right?

Yes, I know about the time limit. My problem is, I have a project that I’d like to talk about, but definitely not for 20+ minutes. While 5 mins might be ideal for me, 2–3 mins is enough for me.

If proposals will be limited to the day rather than in advance, how exactly will sign-ups work?

OK good, just to make sure that you’re aware of that. :+1:

This is a good question. :slight_smile: We’ll figure out if it’s possible to make a sign-up process before the day. If you can give us a few days we’ll update here. OK?

Great! Thanks for being so responsive and in general thanks for helping organize this wonderful devroom! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone!

As you may know, the Open Source Design devroom has been accepted at FOSDEM 2023, and we are looking for speakers! If you are interested, send in your talk proposal soon!

If you have any questions about how it works or if you’re nervous about speaking in public, post here and we can try and help you out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @ei8fdb, I wanted to submit a talk, but I am unsure about the track it fits in. It’s about Language Server Protocol, a reasonably new concept. I feel that it should be under Open Source Design since it eases the hassle of developing extensions for various code editors and IDEs and, thus, is an excellent example of a beautiful open-source design.
Still, I need some opinions about it.

Thanks!

Hello @priyamsahoo thanks for the question! I must admit, I had to search for what Language Server Protocol meant. From the wikipedia page it seems to me more like a development approach, than user-centred design.

Personally, I don’t think the Open Source Design devroom is the right fit for this talk, there’s probably much better fits. I’d suggest having a look at the list of devrooms on the fosdem website. Each will have a description - I think you’ll be able to find a good fit.

I hope that helps.

Thanks a lot, @ei8fdb. It makes sense.
Cheers!

1 Like

You’re welcome. If I’m misunderstanding what LSP is, which is of course possible, and it is more connected with user centred design than I think please do disagree. Possibly others here have a better understanding than me.

Hi. I would like to submit a talk, but the pentabarf website does not offer the “create event” button (as shown on the help page), even after creating, validating and login in an account (tested on Firefox, Chromium, Safari, on Ubuntu and MacOS). Am I missing something?