Funding, getting paid, and designing for FLOSS

Investing in the Underground : Open Space

… Of course, one should never work for free for a corporation …

I disagree. If that’s never done, then a corporation might be slow to learn the values of freedom and flexibility.

… exploitation is necessarily the act of siphoning value from the worker for the benefit of the boss. …

Maybe true in an undground context of the article, not necessarily true in other contexts under or above ground.

Exploitation can be multiway (not a siphon), and mutually beneficial.

Underexploitation, exploitation, overexploitation – it’s literally somewhere in the middle but there is, often, a negative connotation – consider word choice - Positive synonym for 'exploit' - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange.

The conversation

3. How do you have this conversation without immediately turning people off from what is seemingly “political”?

Where the word political can be associated with extremism:

• simply recognise the extremism
  • neither assume, nor imply, that extremism is bad
  • attempt to understand the reasons for an extremist viewpoint, but don’t allow the essence of the conversation to become lost within meta-discussions of understandings.

A Book Apart, Design Is a Job

I sped through the chapter on getting clients. Getting Clients · An A List Apart Article for a few highlights.

… the concepts will be useful to anyone. …

– much of what’s in the article can be great advice for people whose jobs do not (or do not obviously) involve design.

The Client Screener might be food for thought whilst drafting outputs from How to handle critique and feedback for a design ticket.

I love this:

you are evaluating the potential client as much as they are evaluating you …