Categorisation, tagging, default appearance

UI

Re: post 22 above, would you like me to attempt to make the category visible?

Or was the invisibility intentional?

Categorisation

Thanks. For me: in some ways the change is an improvement, in other ways it’s less user-friendly.

I performed some tests with Discourse on Android. Categorisation by default exposed a minor bug, I made the Discourse Team aware, the bug is acknowledged (also affected: Discourse on iOS).

That minor bug aside: a few other thoughts came to mind (I can share screenshots etc. in due course) but those thoughts are not yet firm.

It should become easier for people to get a ‘feel’ of the forum, on multiple platforms, after it gains momentum; after there’s more substantial content that is neither forum feedback, nor meta.

It may be worth spending a few days (just a few minutes each day) browsing and searching sites such as:

At first glance, Mozilla’s use of Discourse is impressive. It is immediately obvious that great care and forethought has been given to organisation, and presentation, of categories and sub-categories.

For me, things became more thought-provoking when I scratched beneath the surface. In the handful of areas where I browsed or participated, I gained a sense that use of the forum for discussion is sometimes discouraged; there’s encouragement to use GitHub, not Discourse for discussion …

… which slightly defeats the object of a forum :slight_smile: especially where reasons for setting up a forum include the perception that GitHub is not ideal for forum-like discussions (that’s a very broad topic … probably best continued in Discourse Meta, not here).

Cross reference: today’s illustrations by @jdittrich under First impressions (preview) – visualising how categories might appear with and without the rectangular logo requirement.